Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Users are getting a windows update popup on Server 2016

Morne Botha

Question

5 answers to this question

Check out the following discussion:

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/401373-disable-windows-update-notifications/

Carl Stalhood said:

Is that Windows update? Group Policy settings:

Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates |  Windows Components | Windows Update

Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications = disabled

User Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates |  Windows Components | Windows Update

Remove access to use all Windows Update features = enabled, 0 – Do not show any notifications

• Like 1

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some of their experiences on this subject.

I checked in one of the environments I am regular working in that is Server 2016 based; this particular environment has two XenDesktop sites (one 7.15.15097 and one 7.15.4000 (VDA version is 7.15.15097 for both sites)).

In both environments, since these the VDAs are provisioned using MCS, Windows Updates are disabled in the GPOs for the Session Hosts (which would explain why I've never seen the prompts in this environment).  I will try to find some other examples of this in other environments to see what the behaviors/differences in configuration are.

This is what is configured in the GPOs for the environments mentioned above:

Computer Settings: Windows Components/Windows Update/Configure Automatic Updates - Disabled

User Settings: Windows Components/Windows Update/Remove access to use all Windows Update features: Enabled (Configure notifications: 0 - Do not show any notifications.

I'm guessing the only reason for the 'Do not show any notifications' being configured in this environment is so that users aren't prompted with a 'Windows Updates are turned off' message.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some of their experiences on this subject.

I checked in one of the environments I am regular working in that is Server 2016 based; this particular environment has two XenDesktop sites (one 7.15.15097 and one 7.15.4000 (VDA version is 7.15.15097 for both sites)).

In both environments, since these the VDAs are provisioned using MCS, Windows Updates are disabled in the GPOs for the Session Hosts (which would explain why I've never seen the prompts in this environment).  I will try to find some other examples of this in other environments to see what the behaviors/differences in configuration are.

This is what is configured in the GPOs for the environments mentioned above:

Computer Settings: Windows Components/Windows Update/Configure Automatic Updates - Disabled

User Settings: Windows Components/Windows Update/Remove access to use all Windows Update features: Enabled (Configure notifications: 0 - Do not show any notifications.

I'm guessing the only reason for the 'Do not show any notifications' being configured in this environment is so that users aren't prompted with a 'Windows Updates are turned off' message.

Thanks for the Reply

Will be waiting for your Testing.