Welcome to our new Citrix community!

in-place upgrade of desktop director

Question

Hi All,

I have current desktop director installed on windows 2008 R2 edition and now i need to upgrade the Windows OS from windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 or if possible to windows 2016.

My desktop director install directory is E drive on the server.

Please let us know if its simple starlight forward upgrade of OS and director will work after upgrade or i need to reinstall the Desktop director again.

2 answers to this question

Is Director installed on a separate machine from the other XenDesktop infrastructure?  Are you upgrading only the underlying OS and not other XenDesktop components?

If you are upgrading other components, you will want to make sure you do it in the order outlined by Citrix (outlined at the bottom of the first URL below).

If you are just upgrading the underlying OS on a standalone server hosting Director but not touching the Director installation, Director should be fine after the OS upgrade...

Check out the following Citrix Support articles for further information:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX224793 - Director Version Matrix - Install or Upgrade compatibility of Director with Delivery Controller, VDA

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX222476 - Install or Upgrade to Citrix Director 7.x Using Director .msi file

While researching this, I didn't come across anything that talks about only upgrading the underlying OS where Director is installed and it's impact on Director.

Is Director installed on a separate machine from the other XenDesktop infrastructure?  Yes

Are you upgrading only the underlying OS and not other XenDesktop components? Other Components like Storefront Delivery controller are already on windows 2012

If you are upgrading other components, you will want to make sure you do it in the order outlined by Citrix (outlined at the bottom of the first URL below). No upgrade of other components

If you are just upgrading the underlying OS on a standalone server hosting Director but not touching the Director installation, Director should be fine after the OS upgrade...