Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VM failed to release memory when asked to do so

Darshan P

Question

Hello Team,

Am using Xenserver 7 and while starting my imported VM into the server from XenCenter am getting error "VM failed to start because it didn't release memorywhen asked to do so" .Have checked that server has 12 GB ram free and am allocating only 1 GB.

Please help me to solve this. Have attached complete logs for starting VM. Hope for solution for this.

XenErrorlog_VMStart.txt

Edited by it-zealous

15 answers to this question

On 7/19/2019 at 4:51 PM, Darshan P said:

Hello Team,

Am using Xenserver 7 and while starting my imported VM into the server from XenCenter am getting error "VM failed to start because it didn't release memorywhen asked to do so" .Have checked that server has 12 GB ram free and am allocating only 1 GB.

Please help me to solve this. Have attached complete logs for starting VM. Hope for solution for this.

XenErrorlog_VMStart.txt

Hello Team,

Any updates , please help ?

Hello Guys,

Thanks for update, that same VM is running on another Xenserver 7.0 I just exported it & imported it & tried to start VM. VM is running WIndows 10 Pro OS. Also I tried to export Ubuntu VM as well which was running on another same Xenserver.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:27 PM, Tobias Kreidl said:

Anything of more detail in the logs? Also, what is the powerstate of the VM? Had it ever run before? Also, it may have an incompatible version of virtualization (HVM, PVHVM, etc.):

What is the OS of that VM?

-=Tobias

Hello , Which kind of more logs you require , I have shared with you the XenSource.log are there any other you require please update accordingly will share with you ?

16 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

That is odd. If you have the latest XenTools installed I would log it as a bug. I don't know of any issues with OS 

under XenServer except 2016 Essentials.

--Alan--

So what should be possible solutions or workaround for this ?

On 7/26/2019 at 6:18 PM, Alan Lantz said:

Thats very weird. If its just a single server and not pooled I would probably try and upgrade it. 

I thought it was just a ballooning error and didn't occur on fixed memory. 

--Alan--

Hello,

Isn't there any other way to fix it or any work around ?