Welcome to our new Citrix community!

sr-probe and sr-probe-ext giving different output for GFS2

Question

Hi there,

I've been playing around with Citrix Hypervisor 8 for some time now and I am puzzled by one particular thing.

The setup includes 3 hypervisor nodes and 2 storage nodes. The hypervisors form a pool and clustering is enabled for it.

My goal is to create a GFS2 SR on an iSCSI LUN. I can successfully create it using XenCenter, but I have certain difficulties following the CLI way. Particularly, I encountered different output of sr-probe and sr-probe-ext for the same parameters.

For sr-probe-ext everything looks to be fine:

xe sr-probe-ext type=gfs2 device-config:target=172.16.100.181,172.16.100.182 device-config:provider=iscsi device-config:targetIQN=*
Found the following incomplete configurations that may contain SRs:
Configuration 0:
SCSIid       : 21c6cf350e8d16183
    targetIQN: *
       target: 172.16.100.181,172.16.100.182
     provider: iscsi

Configuration 0 extra information:
path      : /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-21c6cf350e8d16183
    serial: 1C6CF350E8D16183
     LUNid: 0
    vendor: vendor
      size: 10737418240

But when I try running the same with sr-probe, that return an empty XML:

xe sr-probe type=gfs2 device-config:target=172.16.100.181,172.16.100.182 device-config:provider=iscsi device-config:targetIQN=*
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SRlist/>

What am I potentially missing?

Thanks for any input.

7 answers to this question

sr probe doesn't work with GSF2 which is why sr probe-ext was created. GFS2 is implemented with a new and mostly incompatible storage management framework architecture. It would have been better if the sr-probe operation had errored and made that clear and I confess I don't know why that didn't happen.

Citrix Hybrid Cloud Platforms, storage team.

• Like 1

As I understand it, sr-probe will produce output for each device type, but I do not think you can give it a targetIQN with a wildcard.

Also, it looks like sr-probe only understands types iscsi and hba and not gfs2 (hence sr-probe-ext probably stands for the "extended" version).

-=Tobias

According to https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220536 sr-probe accepts lvmoiscsi / lvmohba as an input parameter. Which made me think it would accept GFS2 as well. It looks like I could be wrong with this assumption of mine.

From the Hypervisor's help:

xe help sr-probe
	command name    : sr-probe
        reqd params     : type
        optional params : host-uuid, device-config:, sm-config:
        description     : Perform a storage probe.  The device-config parameters can be specified by e.g. device-config:devs=/dev/sdb1.

xe help sr-probe-ext
	command name    : sr-probe-ext
        reqd params     : type
        optional params : host-uuid, device-config:, sm-config:
        description     : Perform a storage probe. The device-config parameters can be specified by e.g. device-config:devs=/dev/sdb1.
Unlike sr-probe, this command returns results in the same human-readable format for every SR type.

I am confused. Any thoughts?