Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Put XenCenter within a VM

Miguel Saldivar

Question

7 answers to this question

You can run XenCenter from any Windows machine as long as you can establish a connection to your XenServers. It doesn't matter if it is on a physical or virtual Windows instance.

XenCenter uses port 443 to connect to the hosts and if you run anything from the graphics console, I believe that uses port 5900 for VNC. Might need a VPN with a tunnel (like VNC) to get there, depending on your firewall rules.

-=Tobias

Thanks for the reply Tobias,

I guess my issue is how can I get a Windows VM setup without going through XenCenter?

Is it possible to do it through the CLI then connect through via vnc as I stated, or do I have to use a different method?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new to the `xen` ecosystem.

Thanks,

Miguel

Can't you temporarily install XenCenter on some other PC? The other option is to do the VM installation via the CLI (yes, possible, but a lot more work!).

Even a laptop on the same subnet as your XenServer(s) should be hopefully possible?

Of course if there's an issue and you can't get to that VM hosting XenCenter, you really want to have a backup option to be able to administer your XenServer hosts!

-=Tobias

What are the steps to do it via the CLI? I've been trying do it through this method(I feel very comfortable in a terminal), but haven't had much success in figuring out how to connect to the VM after it's initial creation. Is it possible to connect to that windows vm through vnc after it's been created via the CLI?