File Explorer Window controls not working in Server 2019

Christopher Yue

Question

Environment

XA 7.18

VDA 1906

Publishing Server 2019 Desktops

FSLogix Profile Containers

For newly created profiles, users cannot manipulate the File Explorer window.

The Minimise| Maximize | Close buttons do not work and the window itself cannot be resized.

When File Explorer launches it open center to the screen in a partial window.

Other application windows (IE, Chrome, Office) work OK.

Has anyone seen this before?

3 answers to this question

Good afternoon,

I have seen this issue before as well, running 7.15 LTSR CU2 (at the time) and VDA from the same build running on Windows 10 (I don't recall if it was 1703 or 1709).  Never did figure out what the underlying issue was and just ended up building a new image (obviously the new image omitted a change/changes that I must have made to the problematic one).

I started to research the issue again when I saw your post and I came across the following discussion (https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/397368-fyi-users-unable-to-close-file-explorer-windows-10-1803/).

I know in my instance, I did use Citrix Optimizer on the problematic image but did not do so on the image that I didn't have the issue on.

Even if you didn't use Citrix Optimizer (or the VMware equivalent), could you check to see if the Themes Service is disabled on your image (and if so, enable it and test again)?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

Good afternoon,

I have seen this issue before as well, running 7.15 LTSR CU2 (at the time) and VDA from the same build running on Windows 10 (I don't recall if it was 1703 or 1709).  Never did figure out what the underlying issue was and just ended up building a new image (obviously the new image omitted a change/changes that I must have made to the problematic one).

I started to research the issue again when I saw your post and I came across the following discussion (https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/397368-fyi-users-unable-to-close-file-explorer-windows-10-1803/).

I know in my instance, I did use Citrix Optimizer on the problematic image but did not do so on the image that I didn't have the issue on.

Even if you didn't use Citrix Optimizer (or the VMware equivalent), could you check to see if the Themes Service is disabled on your image (and if so, enable it and test again)?

Jim,

You are a life saver!

Yes I used Citrix Optimizer and just checked and saw that the Themes service is indeed disabled.

5d2eb88850122_CitrixOptimizer.thumb.png.017c1e06692b2a18a00bbc03793be1e0.png

I will add to the original thread you found as another side affect seems to be that the Start Menu stops working as well, after second login (when File Explorer works normally).

Again not sure if it is related (I kinda hope it is) but worth asking.

Since everything hinges on the quality of the gold image, its times like this, the forum comes to the rescue.

I will update the gold and test once more.

I have an open ticket with Citrix support and they have not come across this so I will be sure to update them.

Thanks again.

I can confirm on the latest build of 2019 with the 2109 VDA on Cloud that this is still an issue. Optimizer template for 2019 disables Themes, which makes the minimize, maximize, restore buttons behave strangely or not work at all. Manually re-enabling Themes and pushing out the update to the Gold image seems to fix it. I also made a ticket with Citrix. Not so much to ask for support, but to remind them that this is a bug. Either they need to update their Template to not disable Themes, or they need to adapt the VDA to better work with disabled Themes.