Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Users not being directed to an application on a specific Delivery Group

Terence Ng1709157216

Question

XenApp 7.15 farm

I have 2 Delivery Groups, both with the same application installed on it.

I noticed that users only get sent to Delivery Group A, so that I'd see 15 users in DG A, but 0 in DG B.

I even went as far as to change the Application Priority to 0 (lower is higher) for DG B and Priority 1 for DG A, and still the users are directed to DG A, and DG B has 0 users.

The only way to get the users to DG B servers is to use server or app tags.

I will add that the DG B servers are in a different machine catalog, if that makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated! TIA

7 answers to this question

I have some thoughts on this that mostly revolve around limiting access to the Delivery Group using AD groups, but before going too deep into that, can you explain a little more about what you are attempting to accomplish by having the two delivery groups and if there are differences in the users, etc? 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Parker said:

I have some thoughts on this that mostly revolve around limiting access to the Delivery Group using AD groups, but before going too deep into that, can you explain a little more about what you are attempting to accomplish by having the two delivery groups and if there are differences in the users, etc? 

No difference in the user groups.

There is one app that is available on all servers, and hence all Delivery Groups, and this is the app in question - why it only loads in DG A but not DG B.

DG A has other applications that are different than DG B.

To draw this out in text:

DG A: App-A, MS Office 2010

DG B: App-A, MS Office 2016

There is probably a better way to design the DGs to accomplish this, but fundamentally, I would also like to know why this is behaving the way it is for my own understanding.

Others can probably explain better and maybe I'm totally off base... :)

Assuming you limit users to a single session and they launch Office 2016 first, they would get connected to DG B.

Same assumption, Office 2010 first, DG A.

They could then launch App-A and be connected to the proper server. 

If you aren't limiting to single session that doesn't work properly because it will see what DG offers up App-A and doesn't load balance across DGs, DG-A will always be listed first as available for the app. 

The easiest way to ensure that your users that get access to O2016 vs O2010 would be to limit the DG to the user groups that need it. Then App-A will always launch for an O2016 user in DG-B. 

Edit: Found this as well:  https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/357757-xenapp-76-application-load-balancing-questionissue/

Edited by Dennis Parker
added link to other forum post

That seems to be my issue, or similar enough - that it won't load balance across DGs.

But what logic does it use to determine which DG to assign a user to in the first place?

If all users are granted rights to both DG's, and are using App A which are also on both DG's, what does XenApp only put users on DG A when a user wants to launch App A?

Appreciate your help btw Dennis, thanks.

Extrapolating from the link provided, it appears to be "last in, first out" (LIFO).

However, I'm not entirely convinced that Studio GUI shows the order.  At least in 7.15 LTSR, it shows them sorted by Name, but in PowerShell they are LIFO. 

I verified this in my environment looking at the GUI and comparing with PowerShell commands.

Get-BrokerApplication -ApplicationName "APPNAME" -AdminAddress "MGMTSERVER"

Returned numbers in LIFO order:

AssociatedDesktopGroupUids       : {97, 172, 60, 127}

Get-BrokerDesktopGroup -Uid 97 -AdminAddress "MGMTSERVER"

Gets information about the Group and it is not the first in the Studio GUI list for the application.