Welcome to our new Citrix community!

netscaler mpx and vxlan

Hi 

Hi have two datacenter. Each datacenter has a couple of netscaler.

In datacenter A,  I created a VxLAN with srcIP 10.0.0.5 that encapsulate  VLAN 2607. I'have also a SNIP in this vlan with 3.2.2.1/24 address. I created also a bridgetable with 00:00:00:00:00:00 versus 10.0.0.20 VTEP
In datacenter B,  I created a VxLAN with srcIP 10.0.0.20 that encapsulate VLAN 2607. I'have also a SNIP in this vlan with 3.2.2.2/24 address. I created also a bridgetable with 00:00:00:00:00:00 versus 10.0.0.5 VTEP

In datacenter A I have also 2 machine on VLAN 2607.   3.2.2.3 and 3.2.2.2

From netscaler A I can ping the other netscaler on vlan 2607 ( 3.2.2.2 ).I can ping also 3.2.2.3 and 3.2.2.2. 

From 3.2.2.2 I can ping 3.2.2.1 but I can't ping 3.2.2.2 (netscaler in datacenter B).

From netscaler B I can ping netscaler A (3.2.2.1) but I can't ping 3.2.2.2 nor 3.2.2.3

I tried to add static entry in bridgetable of netscaler B with extant mac address but I have the same behavior.

I'd like to have machines in both data centers on the same layer2 (3.2.2.0/24) and snip and vip on netscalers in each datacenter on the same layer2.

Is it possible to do this using VxLAN?

The VxLAN feature of the NetScaler will allow you to achieve what you are looking to do.

Please take a look at the following Citrix documentation for specific information regarding VxLANs: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/networking/vxlans.html

There are configuration steps at the bottom of the page, as well as points to consider when using VxLANs that should be helpful to you.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer. I read the article that you mentioned.

My configuration is like that article.

NS A:

add vxlan 1000 -vlan 2607
bind vxlan 1000 -srcIP 10.0.0.5 
add bridgetable -mac 00:00:00:00:00:00 -vxlan 1000 -vtep 10.0.0.20 

NS B:

add vxlan 1000 -vlan 2607
bind vxlan 1000 -srcIP 10.0.0.20
add bridgetable -mac 00:00:00:00:00:00 -vxlan 1000 -vtep 10.0.0.5

10.0.0.20 and 10.0.0.5 are reachable from each other (there is a dedicated fiber connection)

In netscaler A there is a SNIP in Vlan 2607 that is 3.2.2.1
In netscaler B there is a SNIP in Vlan 2607 that is 3.2.2.2

I can ping 3.2.2.1 from 3.2.2.2 and viceversa. But I can't ping any other IP in vlan 2607 in datacenter B from netscaler A:

i.e. there is a Server with 3.2.2.5 in datacenter B in VLAN 2607)

I can ping 3.2.2.2 from 3.2.2.5 but I can't ping 3.2.2.1 from 3.2.2.5 nor 3.2.2.5 from 3.2.2.1

however at end of article that you cited there is a description of VXLAN-VLAN  

Should I use that?
It seems that I am forced to make a CloudConnector between two NetScaler (datacenter A and datacenter B) even  if they are connected directly via two dedicated routers.

Thanks in advance
Marco

I think that configured referenced at the very bottom (Extending VLANs from Multiple Enterprises to a Cloud using VXLAN-VLAN Maps) is specific to extending your network to an Azure or AWS cloud environment.

Are there routes configured in each datacenter/NetScaler telling that traffic how to reach the servers at each location (beyond the VIP)?

Are there routes configured in each datacenter/NetScaler telling that traffic how to reach the servers at each location (beyond the VIP)?

Sure! The fact is that it also seems to work: when from the netscaler ping the Netscaler B on the vlan transported in the vxlan:  in the bridgetable of the netscaler A  I get a dynamic entry with the macaddress of the snip on the netscaler B indicating that it passes for the VTEP B and viceversa.
Therefore, not only the netscalers are pingable on the respective VTEPs. But the VxLAN is established and pinged even within the extended vlan.
The problem is that this remains between the two netscalers. The hosts in the extended vlan that are in datacenter A only ping the netscaler A but not the B or the other hosts in the datacenter B

I think that configured referenced at the very bottom (Extending VLANs from Multiple Enterprises to a Cloud using VXLAN-VLAN Maps) is specific to extending your network to an Azure or AWS cloud environment.

In the beginning I also understood this way. But, mistakenly, I thought you suggested these commands to me. So I googled and I find this

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/system/cloudbridge-connector-introduction.html

CloudBridge connetor seems a way to connect two netscaler. Maybe if I try this scenario (even if the second netscaler is not in colud) I will be lucky. 

Maybe you're onto something there...when I started reading the URL you referenced, I saw the documentation below (connecting two datacenters).

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/system/cloudbridge-connector-introduction/configuring-cloudbridge-connector-two-datacenters.html

I noticed in the first URL I posted for you, that there was no mention of a second NetScaler in the configuration.  Let me know if the CloudBridge Connector works for you.

I've done setup's similar to this, but that was spanning one VLAN between two datacenters for DR purposes using Cisco equipment, so it's not quite apples to apples.