Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NetScaler Gateway - how long before it marks STA server down?

Dave Bishop

Hi, we have a NetScaler which is running NS12.1.48.13 and has 4 sta servers configured in vpn virtual server & they all work fine. when we shutdown one of the sta servers, it takes about 2-3 minutes before the NetScaler marks it as down (2-3 minutes after pings to the server stop). Is this timing about right, or should it be quicker? Is there anywhere to see/modify the timers? Users hitting the gateway between the server going down & the NetScaler marking it as down are getting 'network error' messages when trying to establish a session/authenticate.

Sounds like 2 separate issues. While the NetScaler default interval check is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 seconds, I believe, your issue lies with StoreFront, in that it is issuing the bad ticket. Are you using a NetScaler VIP with an STA monitor on it in your StoreFront STA config? If not, StoreFront will continue issuing tickets to that STA (even if the STA service has been terminated) until the DDC is completely down.

Sam, 

The monitor from the ADC is not related to Storefront at all. It queries the STA direct as the ADC only needs to redeem the ticket provided in the ICA file by SF direct from the STA. As stated above the STA monitor has a default interval of 2 minutes and not 5 seconds like all other monitors. 

Val 

Val,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I did not mean to imply that there is any relation between the ADC monitor and SF.

I was just suggesting that he use an explicit STA monitor on a DDC LB VIP, and use that VIP in his SF STA config to be able to better detect when the STA service on the DDC is not working (so SF does not attempt to issue a ticket from that STA server).

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, 

I see. Hope I am understanding this correctly. Are you referring to LB ox DDC for XML traffic? 

I dont think STAs are being LBed( one should never do so as there is no way to guarantee that the request will land on the correct STA that issued the ticket. For STA LB the setting in SF should be used. The STA is montito

Hi Val,

I agree that STA's should never be load-balanced on the ADC for the reason that you mention.

However, on StoreFront, I would recommend that an LB VIP address should be used for both XML and STA servers.

While we need to match the STAID on the ADC end (and therefore should not use LB), we don't care which STA server issues the ticket (on the StoreFront side of things).

Thanks,

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, thanks for your contributions, the probelm (issue) is as suggested with the default monitor timer on the  lb monitor sta CITRIX-STA-SERVICE being set to 2mins. This seeems a long time to check for a server down.

Are people leaving this at the default 2mins, or are you lowering it? As its default, I'll leave it for now, but it just seems a long wait thats all.

Thanks again for all your responses, very helpful :)