Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Installing the VDA software on a cloned VM server with sysprep applied causes server to revert back to pre-sysprep name

Christopher Yue

Question

Environment
XenApp 7.18
MCS used 
Server 2016/2019 Published Desktops
VDA 1906

vSphere 6.5

Senario
Need to build out a new MC and DG from an existing VDA enabled Server Desktop.

Took a VM clone of an existing powered down server (SERVER-OLD) with VDA 1906 already installed to create new VM server (SERVER-NEW).
SERVER-OLD is tied to a existing Machine Catalog.

Once the VMware clone process completed, I powered on SERVER-NEW and removed the VDA software using the Citrix VDA Clean Up utiity.

After restarting the server, I ran SYSPREP to reset the identity of the server completely (on SERVER-NEW).

Following another restart, I installed the VDA 1906 client.

Following another restart, I am unable to login to the Domain due to trust relationship issues (see attached).

When I logged into the server, using a local admin account, I discovered the server name had reverted back to the name prior to sysprep (SERVER-OLD).

There seems some sort of link with the existing MC/DG somehow but I thought I had broke all association using the VDA cleanup utility and SYSPREP.

Can anyone comment on this?

Trust Relationship Issue.png

3 answers to this question

You say you're using MCS - can you confirm that 'SERVER-OLD' is the master image for that existing MCS catalog, and not a child machine within it?

I don't think it's the VDA that is keeping that server name.  The VDA doesn't really care that much - I've cloned and renamed manual-build Citrix machines numerous times and never had an issue.   BTW you don't need to sysprep either, just clone it, disable the NIC and change from domain to workgroup, and rename the machine.   Then reboot it, bring the NIC back online again, and re-join the domain with the new name.   Works perfectly because AD only cares about the GUID used for the machine's domain account these days, which changes when you rename and rejoin, and the fact you do that part with the NIC disabled means the original AD account remains in place for the original machine.

The only thing that makes sense is if you've cloned an MCS child machine, which keeps the machine identity data in a separate hard drive.  Even a sysprep (if it even worked) wouldn't touch that.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

You say you're using MCS - can you confirm that 'SERVER-OLD' is the master image for that existing MCS catalog, and not a child machine within it?

I don't think it's the VDA that is keeping that server name.  The VDA doesn't really care that much - I've cloned and renamed manual-build Citrix machines numerous times and never had an issue.   BTW you don't need to sysprep either, just clone it, disable the NIC and change from domain to workgroup, and rename the machine.   Then reboot it, bring the NIC back online again, and re-join the domain with the new name.   Works perfectly because AD only cares about the GUID used for the machine's domain account these days, which changes when you rename and rejoin, and the fact you do that part with the NIC disabled means the original AD account remains in place for the original machine.

The only thing that makes sense is if you've cloned an MCS child machine, which keeps the machine identity data in a separate hard drive.  Even a sysprep (if it even worked) wouldn't touch that.

It was a child machine so I guess that will explain it.

By the way, where would I locate that separate hard drive you mentioned?

Thanks for the tip on cloning gold machines for the future, good to know.

In the end, as Citrix support could not answer it, I ended up building a new VDA resource and reinstalled all the apps again.

The separate hard drive can be seen attached to the virtual machine - it's a 16MB disk (so it's absolutely tiny) but it's not visible from within the machine.  Look at the machine in VMware management console and you'll see it has two hard drives attached.

Sorry you had to go through all that effort to resolve it - if i'd seen the question earlier I'd have answered it sooner, and maybe saved you some time.