Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WEM Filter AD Attribute not null

Pascal Starke

Question

Hi,

Im trying to assign Outlook only to those users, who actually have a mailbox.

So I build a filter which checks if "msExchMailbox" is not null using the questionmark (Reference from the official Citrix Docs)

grafik.thumb.png.f087c3414cc8e2588d20c57eb94aa258.png

But somehow it does not work.
Checking the logs always returns "false" even though the mailbox attribute of my test user is not, claming the filter is an empty string.

grafik.thumb.png.d6ed61b86c7a789ab9fecd418fb8eb0a.png

So here I am, wondering if I am missing something?
We are using WEM 1906 on Windows 2012r2 and 2016 but it didnt work with 1903 or 1806 either.

Thank you in advance!

3 answers to this question

Have you tried enabling logging for WEM to see if there is any helpful information displayed?  This article on enabling logging on the infrastructure servers also links to an article on how to enable logging on the agent side https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228742

That would likely provide more information on why you are not getting the desired result.  

If you end up going that route and are able to post some of the logs here in the thread, I wouldn't mind combing through looking for an answer.

18 hours ago, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

Have you tried enabling logging for WEM to see if there is any helpful information displayed?  This article on enabling logging on the infrastructure servers also links to an article on how to enable logging on the agent side https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228742

That would likely provide more information on why you are not getting the desired result.  

If you end up going that route and are able to post some of the logs here in the thread, I wouldn't mind combing through looking for an answer.

Thanks for the Information, the logs are looking good.

After some testing I found the Issue.
If you try to match a attribute which is not a string, you will get the error in the Agent Log saying "Empty String detected"

To reproduce, fIlter for i.e. ObjectGUID and try a wildcard or the questionmark. It will always return false.

Question is, if it is limited to strings by choice, or a simple bug.

Before I responded to your post yesterday, I had originally planned to ask if the datatype of the property you were querying would return a string value and if that was the problem; after a bit of research, I found that most AD attributes were string values, so I moved on from that thought. 

I'd like to think if it was a bug, it would have been caught, reported, and fixed.

As a workaround, are you able to query a different AD attribute that indicates a user has an Exchange mailbox (perhaps a custom attribute)?  I realize this would require some extra steps and possibly some manual work at first, just a thought.

While I was researching your issue, I came across the following blog post that appears to have some good information overall regarding WEM filters.  Maybe some combination of what you are currently working on, when paired with the information contained in the blog post, will get you to the desired result.

https://jkindon.com/2019/03/08/wem-variables-dynamic-tokens-hashtags-and-strings/