Welcome to our new Citrix community!

New Installation XenServer 7.x fails on Fujitsu RX2530M4

Martijn van Leeuwen

Question

I have placed a brand new Fujitsu Server RX2530M4. Now I am trying to install XenCenter 7.x, but it doesn't install.

I have download the 7.6 Free ISO and burned it on a new dvd. When I put it in the server and chose the boot option DVD, I come 

in GNU GRUB menu (options: - Install, -no serial, -safe, -multpath,-shell). I chose the option install and I see the DVD is working (light blinks).

For about 15 seconds I see a cursor blinking in the screen and then the server reboots and after the reboot I see the DVD blinking a couple of times but then 

everything stops and the screen stays black?

What I did so far:

- Burned the ISO file of version 7.6 with lower speed

- Burned the ISO file of version 7.4 (normal speed) and tried this
- Burned the ISO file of version 8.0 (normal speed) and tried this

The problem stays the same..... can anybody help me with this problem?

14 answers to this question

You are on the HCL, so its definitely possible !  I would go into BIOS and make sure boot is legacy instead of UEFI. Its suppose to support 

UEFI but its a thought. Second would be your RAID controller. Do you have hardware RAID ? XenServer can be made to work with a soft

RAID, but out of box would need a hardware RAID card.  Third thing I would look at is your hard drives. XenServer only supports "normal"

traditional drives. The new 512e and 4k drives so far won't work.

--Alan--

5 minutes ago, Martijn van Leeuwen said:

Thanks for your answers. I think the bios is on uefi, so i Will try that. It are “normal” server SSD hard disks.

Regarding the iso files; i have tried 3 different ones, one different dvd’s and also different recorders. So i don’t think that is the problem.

I have had hardware raid controller!

5 hours ago, Martijn van Leeuwen said:

Thanks for your answers. I think the bios is on uefi, so i Will try that. It are “normal” server SSD hard disks.

Regarding the iso files; i have tried 3 different ones, one different dvd’s and also different recorders. So i don’t think that is the problem.

5 hours ago, Martijn van Leeuwen said:

I have had hardware raid controller!

with the boot set to legacy, the installation starts. But now a new problem occurs; “this host Does not appear to have Any harddisks”. Although i have loaded the lsi megaraid driver from the citrix site. Xenserver says the driver is good and loads it, but still the message regading the harddisks stays? The raid in the fujitsu server (rx2530m4) is an ep400i.

any thoughts?

I wouldn't think you would have to do a special driver, megaraid_sas should have worked.  Can you get

to a command prompt to see what linux detects ? Maybe find a CentOS disk and boot from that to see

what happens and what detects. When you went into the megaraid config utility and created your 

raid I guess everything appeared okay ? 

--Alan--

7 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

I wouldn't think you would have to do a special driver, megaraid_sas should have worked.  Can you get

to a command prompt to see what linux detects ? Maybe find a CentOS disk and boot from that to see

what happens and what detects. When you went into the megaraid config utility and created your 

raid I guess everything appeared okay ? 

--Alan--

Alan thanks for your response.

What I see in your answer that I have to create the Raid(s) before the installation? XenServer doesn't create the logical drives?

In my case I have 6 hardddisk which I will divide in 3 times a raid 1 config. 

The last question is; I would like to use 7.5 because of the support of Fujitsu (they don't support 7.6 or 8.0 at this moment). In 7.5 is there a template for Windows Server 2016? I believe Server 2019 is only available in 8.0 ?

Thanks again!

I've always created a logical drive with RAID. You would think though XenServer would be able to see those individual

drives as log as they are not 512e or 4k drives. 

7.5 should have a template for 2016. Keep in mind running XenServer free you are obligated to stay on a current 

release. I would just bite the bullet and install 8.0. I know Fujitsu doesn't officially support it, but hardware vendors

are slow to officially support hardware and they may never officially support it. Doesn't mean it won't work.

--Alan--

16 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

I've always created a logical drive with RAID. You would think though XenServer would be able to see those individual

drives as log as they are not 512e or 4k drives. 

7.5 should have a template for 2016. Keep in mind running XenServer free you are obligated to stay on a current 

release. I would just bite the bullet and install 8.0. I know Fujitsu doesn't officially support it, but hardware vendors

are slow to officially support hardware and they may never officially support it. Doesn't mean it won't work.

--Alan--

Thanks Alan. One last question; do you know of the XVA files (exported from Xenserver 6.5) can be connected to 8.0?