Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Hypervisor 8.0: shutdown on press of the power button with graceful VM shutdown?

Alexander NoName

Question

14 answers to this question

You have a shutdown option (without a graceful stop or migration of the VMs) via remote consoles, like Dell's iDRAC, for instance. If things are totally stuck,

that's one possibility that's at least close to a power button option and is very handy if you are in a remote location.

Just killing the power on a computer unless absolutely necessary is really never a good idea.

-=Tobias

I can't see the need to ever shutdown a XenServer, even gracefully, without connecting to it via XenCenter 

to at least diagnose the need for a shutdown.  And once you get that far a power down is just a few 

keystrokes away.  Even if you got Dom0 to gracefully shutdown the VM's would be killed and you are 

very likely to corrupt them. Not a good idea. 

--Alan--

On 27.6.2019 at 0:11 AM, Alan Lantz said:

I can't see the need to ever shutdown a XenServer, even gracefully, without connecting to it via XenCenter 

to at least diagnose the need for a shutdown.  And once you get that far a power down is just a few 

keystrokes away.  Even if you got Dom0 to gracefully shutdown the VM's would be killed and you are 

very likely to corrupt them. Not a good idea. 

--Alan--

I meant a complete graceful shutdown:

1. send ACPI shutdown signals to all VM's

2. wait for all VM's to be powered off

3. only then shut down XEN itself