Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 6.5 spontaneously creating disks for Windows 2012 VM

Christopher Ames

Question

I have XS6.5 (current updates) running on a ThinkServer 440, installed for over 3 years, mostly successfully.  It hosts a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, Windows 10 Pro, and Ubuntu Server 16.04. 

Forgive me for not knowing all the properly terminology, but I have what I can only describe as a mystery virtual disks associated with the Windows VM. The rogue disks have the same name as the real disk, but show as zero size. Currently, there is one that is unattached to anything and another attached to "Control domain on host xen02". Further, after a troubling crash & reboot of the Windows VM earlier today, I could see in XenCenter disk being created, attached to the VM, and then detached again and disappearing. There are no snapshots. In the time I've been typing this another was created, attached, detached, and deleted.

I never seen anything similar with the Windows 10 or Ubuntu VMs.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Well, perhaps this is a positive thing. Two days ago, chain depth was 30. Is the system trying to clean things up? I've had a problem for at least a year with un-reclaimable free space.

vhd-util query -vsfd -p -n /dev/VG_XenStorage-77f9354a-4ac1-34ba-6d60-3106fa7ad982/VHD-9e0ef99c-a856-4e98-aa52-d1079430d429

/dev/mapper/VG_XenStorage--77f9354a--4ac1--34ba--6d60--3106fa7ad982-VHD--9d02ca19--daba--4138--8915--13c889616e8d

hidden: 0

chain depth: 3

Yeah, 30 is the maximum chain length, hence the zero-length files may be failed attempts at additional snapshots. Definitely time to so some cleaning up!

And, yes, it still happens that you get orphaned components and have to manually go through the VDIs and clean them up cautiously. Or you export/delete/import the VM so you can start with a clean version, especially since you cannot evidently migrate a VM to new storage if the snapshot chain length is too long.

In any case, hope the current appearance is a sign of improvement!

-=Tobias