Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Server 2016 XenApp Server with PVS platform layer - Constantly reboots.

Paul Brown1709152452

Question

Upgrading the Server 2016 image we have.  Upgraded the OS layer, Built new platform layer with 7.15 CU4 VDA and 7.15 CU4 PVS agent.  Machine creates fine and can be booted by PVS.  Problem is at the windows login screen the machine will wait a few seconds, then do a graceful restart.  Rinse - Repeat.

Removed all the application layers and the issue still persists.  Rebuilt a new platform layer - issue still persists.  Pulling my hair out here.

Process we follow for building the platform layer is:

• On the App layering device, create a new 2016 platform layer.
  • Attach the cache drive.
  • Install the VDA.
  • Join the Domain.
  • Log on as a network user, reboot, logon as admin, delete network user profile.
  • Add HP LJ Driver (fix mac printing) https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140208
  • Install hotfix and Add Reg entry (fix black box on startup of apps) https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX225819
  • Reboot.
  • Install Workspace Environment Management Agent - following guidance for non-persistent machines.
  • Add the terminal server license server in the local group policy.
  • Install the PVS Target Device software.
  • Run psexec -s -i regedit.exe and remove the RDS timebomb. HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\RCM\GracePeriod
  • Rearm KMS licensing (slmgr /rearm)
  • Run Shutdown for Finalize.
  • Detatch the Cache Drive - SUPER IMPORTANT TO DO THIS BEFORE FINALIZING
  • Finalize

11 answers to this question

Thats the right version.  I woudl try to publish a target with no layers but the platform layer to see what happens. 

Also boot you image in private mode and see if its leaning about new drivers or something like that and rebooting to install them.  If thats the case save the changes and see if it fixes the restart.  Then you will have to try and see why that is happening if it is.

Put the machine in private mode.  Seems this would be the reason for the restart.  Not sure why this would occur though:

The process C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe (MACHINENAME) has initiated the restart of computer MACHINENAME on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
 Reason Code: 0x800000ff
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment: Restarting after Rearm

Took me a while but i rebuilt the platform layer for what i believe is the 10th time.  Pretty sure I'm not doing it wrong.  Same exact issue.

System Log - Event ID 1074.

The process C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe (MACHINENAME) has initiated the restart of computer MACHINENAME on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
 Reason Code: 0x800000ff
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment: Restarting after Rearm

I'm not running a Rearm.  My image at this point has the OS layer, and the platform layer only.  The platform layer has the 7.15 CU4 VDA,  WEM and the PVS agent.  Nothing else is installed on the image.

The only thing that has changed with our process recently is an update of the ELM to support 7.15 CU4 and the install of the 7.15 CU4 VDA.