Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Elastic Layers Not Working Due To OS Filter

Travis Moore1709157930

Question

I am running Windows 10 1809.  I was running App Layering 1903 but upgraded to 1905 thinking it may help my issue.

My issue is that no elastic layers will load.  When I look in the log, I see "Assignment of layer filtered out because it uses a different OS Layer than the base image".  The only problem with that is there only exists one OS layer and that is definitely the layer that was used to create the Elastic App layer and the published image.

7 answers to this question

In theory it should still work, but let's see. That error would appear to allude to the use of our lab feature, where one can assign Elastic Layer(EL) apps to an image using a different OS layer. But, you note only having one OS layer.

Are the layers assigned if you set the EL mode to compatibility? How many layers are you assigning? Do the same layers work if included in the image? Test by assigning half of the app layers, elastically, and see if it works.

What was your original issue? Just for reference.

Not being able to get elastic layers was the original issue.  I upgraded the appliance thinking it would get rid of it.  I am in the testing phase and I only have 2 layers assigned.  I found an article saying to enable compatibility mode so I did that for one of the layers but not both.  I saw the lab feature allowing OS switching, but that is disabled.  If I enable it, will I need to publish a new image for this change to take affect?

As long as Elastic Layering was already enabled you should not need to publish the image again. I am not certain that enabling OS switching will resolve your issue, since you only have one OS layer. Does the app assignment work If you test with only the app layer that has compatibility mode enabled?

Testing the OS switching was not a bad idea, though I did not expect it to work.

Does the below key, in a desktop, have "C:\Program Files\Unidesk\Layering Services\LayerInfo.exe" , as the last part of the value? If t does not, it must be.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit

If the above is correct, I recommend you open a case, provide the steps you have attempted, your broker, provisioning and hypervisor versions.