Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.16 - StoreFront - Receiver for Web - 8 Hours Session Timeout

Frederik Klein

Question

Hello,

i have quite odd Phenomenon with my Citrix Netscaler/ StoreFront installation and to be precisely with a log-off time out.

Due to requirements of our external employee we want to set the log-off timeout for our Receiver for Web up to 8 hours. But so far the Receiver for Web Site always disconnects after about 5 hours despite previously set higher timeout values.  After 5 hour the Web Session is still open, but as soon as i start an App, i get the Massage „Your Session is expired. Please Log-In“. After clicking on the log-in button i get back to the Website without a re- authentication via the Netscaler.

For me, that's an indication that this is a timeout issue on StoreFront.

Those are the values i have adjusted so far to achieve a permanent 8 hours login in our Receiver for Web.

Adjust the Time-Out Value on our Netscaler VPX Seesion Profile to 8  hours

Netscaler>Sessions>Session Profile> Client Experience> Session Time-Out

Adjust the  sessionState timeout value in the Web.Config of the Receiver for Web Site.

On the Netscaler is no Load Balancer in use.

Is there a Value i missed that is importent to achive my goal?

Thx for your help.

Best reagards

5 answers to this question

First thing that pops in my head when I had issues like this, though mine weren't consistent at a specific timeout (yours = 5 hours) is AppPool Recycling. Default IIS configuration allows the AppPool to recycle in the middle of the day. 

Besides preventing the AppPool recycling times, you can (and maybe should if load balanced StoreFront servers) set up a static Machine Key for the DesktopWeb site. This will allow the session to seamlessly failover between servers and could also generate that type of scenario.  You may have your StoreFront persistence timeout configuration set to 5 hours and get connected to a different SF server, assuming load balanced SF servers. (Then I typed all that out and re-read your original post that says no LB on the NetScaler...choosing to leave it in, for future readers that may find this searching for a similar problem)

• Like 1

Hi Silvio,

hi Dennis,

@Silvio: The issue only occurs on the StoreFront website, which I access through the Netscaler. For example, I log in and start an ICA session (launch published app). After closing the ICA session, the StoreFront website is still signed in. So far, so good. After about 5 hours, StoreFront ends the web session, even though a higher timerout value has been set.

@Dennis: The AppPool Recycling is a indeed a got hint. I am not so familiar with the IIS an in specific with the AppPool Settings but i will read up on this Topic. 

THX

Frederik