Updated Privacy Statement

Citrix Workspace App GlobalSign Root CA post upgrade to Catalina Beta

Question

• Answers 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can someone with EAR access share the link? Thanks!

I did sign up for beta program just yesterday but it seems like I have to wait for emails?

Currently I am travelling with two laptops as Citrix Workspace is the only program not working on the Mac running latest beta of MacOS. All other programs I use work just fine on the beta.

2 hours ago, Nathan Shaw said:

Do all the people complaining finally agree that betas are not for production?

Umm no. I have no problem getting Citrix to run under old versions of macOS. However, it's more than a little glib to say "betas are not for production". The fact is, for a beta to be effective people have to test it and test it a lot and that means doing their usual jobs on it and making sure that everything works. Simply firing the beta up on a blank machine in the corner and playing with the shiny new stuff for 15 minutes isn't going to find the bugs that need to be found before it goes live. Now if we can't use the beta for all of June, July, and August thanks to the folks at Citrix that becomes that much harder. Remember, there could be other bugs beyond just the certificates issue that we haven't found because Citrix crashes on launch.

I will also repeat, for the millionth time, that this is not a beta issue. Citrix is using obsolete and insecure certificates. That makes all its users less safe including those on the current macOS release. Yes, Apple is going to drag these guys kicking and screaming into the 2010s via Catalina. But they should have dealt with this issue years and years ago. 

3 hours ago, Paul Kirvan said:

Umm no. I have no problem getting Citrix to run under old versions of macOS. However, it's more than a little glib to say "betas are not for production". The fact is, for a beta to be effective people have to test it and test it a lot and that means doing their usual jobs on it and making sure that everything works. Simply firing the beta up on a blank machine in the corner and playing with the shiny new stuff for 15 minutes isn't going to find the bugs that need to be found before it goes live. Now if we can't use the beta for all of June, July, and August thanks to the folks at Citrix that becomes that much harder. Remember, there could be other bugs beyond just the certificates issue that we haven't found because Citrix crashes on launch.

I will also repeat, for the millionth time, that this is not a beta issue. Citrix is using obsolete and insecure certificates. That makes all its users less safe including those on the current macOS release. Yes, Apple is going to drag these guys kicking and screaming into the 2010s via Catalina. But they should have dealt with this issue years and years ago. 

Connecting the Workspace app to my Netscaler give me cert errors - the intermediate CA issuer of MY certs.  I don't understand 'Citrix is using obsolete and insecure certificates. That makes all its users less safe including those on the current macOS release' - can you please elaborate?

8 hours ago, Nathan Shaw said:

Connecting the Workspace app to my Netscaler give me cert errors - the intermediate CA issuer of MY certs.  I don't understand 'Citrix is using obsolete and insecure certificates. That makes all its users less safe including those on the current macOS release' - can you please elaborate?

You can read smack1289's excellent post above. Key part: "NetScaler may be doing something dodgy for everyone when it comes to the handshakes  (e.g. downgrading or using an older cipher suite)".

Furthermore, Citrix has never denied that the issue is related to continued use of the ancient 1995 era SHA-1 hash algorithm that became obsolete years ago and Apple finally stopped trusting. If that were not the problem, they probably would have denied it by now as it is not a good look whatsoever. 

17 hours ago, Nathan Shaw said:

Do all the people complaining finally agree that betas are not for production?

Beta´s is great for being in front of problems/change´s in new versions by agreeing that you take the risk to run the beta. 
I have several employees that will download the new Catalina, and therefore it is crucial to know it works to reach company desktop with workspace app. 
All microsoft RDP solutions work already within Catalina. And Citrix don't.. 

I suspect that the problem goes two ways. 

One. Workspace app is not using the secure certificates.

two. Workspace app is hiding that it still run 32 bit code.. 

I have signed up for the EAR release, but the person to include new members have probably quit, so we don't get the link.. 
Beta is great if you like to be ahead.. instead of having the phone and employees go bananas the first day because of problems.. 

Please release a public beta of Citrix Workspace.. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Shaw said:

Betas are for finding issues, we've all found an issue.

Unfortunately your argument contradicts itself within a single sentence. Betas are for finding issues, plural, but we've all found exactly one issue. If you had said "betas are for finding one issue, then letting it sit for three months before finding out the rest of the issues after release" then you would be correctly describing the Citrix attitude. What makes you think this is the only issue to be found? Citrix has clearly proven that their work is sloppy. That's not vitriol, it's simply an accurate way of describing a company that doesn't follow security best practices and takes three months to fix it. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Kirvan said:

Unfortunately your argument contradicts itself within a single sentence. Betas are for finding issues, plural, but we've all found exactly one issue. If you had said "betas are for finding one issue, then letting it sit for three months before finding out the rest of the issues after release" then you would be correctly describing the Citrix attitude. What makes you think this is the only issue to be found? Citrix has clearly proven that their work is sloppy. That's not vitriol, it's simply an accurate way of describing a company that doesn't follow security best practices and takes three months to fix it. 

Don’t forget whose beta this is.  Apple’s.  It is Apple’s beta that has triggered this issue.  Citrix Workspace continues to work on all my production Apple systems.  

On 7/10/2019 at 0:49 AM, Tejus Adiga M said:

Hi,

The certificate issue on Catalina has nothing to do with Citrix Workspace app for macOS. Citrix does not issue these certificates. 

To resolve the issue kindly ask your Administrator to get the new set of Certificates from your respective Certificate provider. These newly generated certificates must follow Apple guidelines as mentioned in https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT210176.

Well, the Citrix beta fixes the issue so I think the question is settled- it has everything to do with with Citrix Workspace app for macOS. I'm glad that 84 days into the beta and with less than a month to release I can finally test Citrix under Catalina. 

Unfortunately the tech preview is not working for me, on Catalina beta 7. When I attempt to launch an app, the app crashes almost immediately, and mentions a code signing problem:

Process:               Citrix Viewer [2215]
Path:                  /Users/USER/*/Virtual Desktop Services.app/Contents/MacOS/Citrix Viewer
Identifier:            com.citrix.XenDesktopAlias-DefaultAggregationGroup.\VirtualDesktopServices
Version:               ???
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Citrix Viewer [2215]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-08-29 18:26:44.192 +0100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15 (19A546d)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     4.0 (17P50541b)
Anonymous UUID:        57D48B33-C475-C01D-7A46-DA93B35A15A0

Sleep/Wake UUID:       871CD301-9450-40EB-BB8D-423C53BB200D

Time Awake Since Boot: 10000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       750 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

3 minutes ago, Derek Chesterfield said:

Unfortunately the tech preview is not working for me, on Catalina beta 7. When I attempt to launch an app, the app crashes almost immediately, and mentions a code signing problem:

Process:               Citrix Viewer [2215]
Path:                  /Users/USER/*/Virtual Desktop Services.app/Contents/MacOS/Citrix Viewer
Identifier:            com.citrix.XenDesktopAlias-DefaultAggregationGroup.\VirtualDesktopServices
Version:               ???
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Citrix Viewer [2215]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-08-29 18:26:44.192 +0100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15 (19A546d)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     4.0 (17P50541b)
Anonymous UUID:        57D48B33-C475-C01D-7A46-DA93B35A15A0

Sleep/Wake UUID:       871CD301-9450-40EB-BB8D-423C53BB200D

Time Awake Since Boot: 10000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       750 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

please use the podio link to provide feedback or report any issues on this TP:  https://podio.com/webforms/22969502/1632225

FYI - tomorrow we should publish a v2 of this EAR\TP for 1909 available on the same link 

will mainly address 2 of the known issues described on this first verison 

1. Fix for Realtime Media Engine (RTME) not working on macOS Catalina.
2. Fix for Subscribed Desktops and Apps launch issue.

newer\latest version of the Tech Preview = 19.10.0.13

Download@: https://www.citrix.com/en-in/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews-000/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html 

Please provide your feedback at https://podio.com/webforms/22969502/1632225

What’s New in version 19.10.0.13

1.       Fix for USB redirection for the subscribed Desktop session

2.       Support for DTLS 1.2

3.       Quality enhancements for SaaS app launches

4.       Depreciation of macOS 10.11 El Capitan and 10.12 Sierra

5.       Fix for Subscribed application name change not reflecting when it is renamed on the DDC

This is an Early Access Build shared for the purpose of testing/validation with the intent to make the organizations ready for the upcoming release and is NOT advised to be deployed in production environments.

--

https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews-000/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html

4 hours ago, PlanetWilson said:

I really need this beta now, Catalina has now gone Golden Master. The previously posted link no longer works.

Desperation is irrelevant. Pleading is futile. This is Citrix we're talking about. Read the whole thread to see the attitudes and beliefs that they hold.

9 hours ago, Pawan Kumar Dixit said:

Guys, use https://www.citrix.com/en-in/downloads/workspace-app/betas-and-tech-previews-000/workspace-app-tp-for-mac.html for getting the latest Tech Preview.

Sorry buddy, that's just not good enough. Catalina has been released publicly. The fact that the release version of Citrix still doesn't support it makes the statements earlier in this thread claiming that it would be supported at release lies. 

• Like 1