Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Accessing data in a crashed virtual disk - how to - XenServer 7.1

Goumltz Reinicke

Question

Hi, one of my virtual servers crashed after a raid failure. The server has two virtual disks: one OS and one Data.

I try to access the date-VD but no documentation helped so far.

I can't boot the VM, I can't reliable copy the virtual disk to an other storage (may be IO problem ... ) Currently I m not able to attache that VD to an other VM using the XenCenter.

So, is there a (simple) way to "mount" that .vhd e.g. on the XenServer host? I just want to see if I can access any files in that hcd.

Thanks for hints and regards.

9 answers to this question

Hi Alan, thanks but that is not helping currently. The Virtual Disk is 2 TB (yes 2.000 GB) and doing a full copy would be - if possible anyway - on the broken raid +- 50 hours ....

and I dont understand what you like to say with "see your stuff" and lvm-mounting....?

So from whatever I read the only quick solution would be to access the virtual disk directly on one XenServer host.

Grüße . Götz

Hi thanks for your feedback, 

The one VHD in question holding the Data was not configured VM side with LVM.  From my POV it s just a one partition ext4 block device ....

Or is Xenserver always using LVM to connect in some way the VHD to a VM?

Currently I can dd the VHD to an other storage, but get some I/O Errors.

/Götz

Yes, I was referring to a vhd on a XenServer local SR. A vhd on a NFS share is just a flat file you 

can copy. If you can't mount it then sounds like its corrupt and you would need to restore 

from a backup. There are some vhd repair softwares out there, but I never have tried any

of those.

--Alan--

Hi,

I managed to recover most of the data. As the underling raid was crashed, there is some data los.

Steps: dd the VHD to an other storage (including bad blocks. etc ... ) and use nbd connects (on an ubuntu) to mount and recover files. xfs repair, and rsync.

For further details drop me a note or PM.

Regards . Götz