Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenDesktop7.15 LTSR2 Cataluogue fails updating with ErrorID : FailedToStartImagePreparationVm: URGENT

Victor Philipov

Question

I have been trying to update a Catalogue which points to a pool of 6 xenserver hosts. Catalogue fails with the following error:

Task Information:
Start Date: 05 June 2019
Start Time: 07:43
Finish Date: 05 June 2019
Finish Time: 08:03
State: Failed
Master image: #MasterImage snapshot#

Terminating Error:
Terminated
Stack Trace:
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.CheckForTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.PublishProvisioningSchemeImageTask.RunTask()
   at Citrix.Console.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
ErrorID : FailedToStartImagePreparationVm
TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
InternalErrorMessage : Failure in PowerOn, NO_HOSTS_AVAILABLE Failure in PowerOn, NO_HOSTS_AVAILABLE There were no servers available to complete the specified operation.

We are good resource-wise - Local Storage, Memory. We have one xenserver that has 17 GB free RAM and the base disk RAM is 24 GB. However, the base image is not residing on that xenserver. 

PreparationVM is created on the xenserver host that the base disk resides on?

We are a bit stuck as we want to upgrade to CU4 and multiple other changes are on hold.

BR,

Viktor

4 answers to this question

The Preparation VM would be created on one of the Storage locations where the Base disk is present; and the base disk will be created on all of the storage locations defined for the hosting unit. Hence, make sure you have enough resources there. If there are multiple resources tied to a hosting connection, the base disk will be created on the resources you selected in the wizard during catalog creation. 

Also, share the error code that you get when above error shows up. 

Here is a related article : https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX227925 which might be helpful. 

Cheers,

Prerna Katyal

Hi Pernak, thanks for getting back to me. The article you suggested is not applicable as we have always been with bonded NIC in xenserver NW cofigs. 

The hosting unit we have has multiple storage locations. We have plenty of storage on all of them. However, the preparation VM is created on only one of the hosts, and correct me if I am wrong, this should be the host holding the master image VM. All others should get a copy of the updated base disk.

Where Can I get the error code from. Is is not in Studio, Actions nor in the Catalogue panel details at the bottom?

BR

Viktor

Hello Viktor,

Thanks for the update.

The PrepVM will be created on one of the hosts but the base disk is copied to all of the the Storage locations defined. You should be able to get the error code from Actions Tab in Studio which might help to find the details further. Can you tell me what changes you did after which the catalog update is failing? Is any new catalog getting created or failed? Can we test with a new hosting connection with one host and one Storage location defined for testing?

You might need to open a support case for further assistance.

Cheers,

Prerna Katyal

Hi Perna,

THanks for you answer. The issue was that there was one host with low Memory resources. It is strange as the preparation VM was not created on that one and was placed on a host with plenty resources.  I really don't see a reason why the catalogue would not upgrade but, it now works as we removed one VM to be able to free up Memory.

Thank you.

BR,

VIktor