Welcome to our new Citrix community!

UPM OST and Search VHDX redirection. Disable only the Search part.

Sanjay Hirani

Question

At present, to enable the UPM search and the OST redirection we need to just enable the UPM group policy option for "Enable Search index roaming for Outlook"

Source:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX235347

Ensure that the Enable Search index roaming for Outlook Profile Management policy has been enabled. This policy enables both the Outlook search index feature and the Outlook cache (.OST file) feature.

Is it possible to disable just the search index redirection but leave the OST redirection?

I know it's possible to just disable the windows search service for this effect but we need the search index enabled for other reasons. Hence asking if this can be configured within UPM settings?

4 answers to this question

Ignore. Found the solution.

Helps to read the entire page. At the bottom of the source link:

Registry settings to inject upmsearchsvchook.dll into Windows Search Service: 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs\upmsearchsvchook] 
"FilePathName"="C:\\Program Files\\Citrix\\User Profile Manager\\upmsearchsvchook.dll" 
"Flag"=dword:00000002 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs\upmsearchsvchook\SearchIndexer.exe] 
"HookProcess"=dword:00000001 

So to disable it, i just need to set the HookProcess dword to 0. Simple.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Salim Hurjuk said:

@Sanjay Hirani Great 

Suppose if I want to disable OST Feature and keep enable the Outlook search index feature.

Set the HookProcess DWORD to 0 for these keys:

Registry changes 
Modifications have been made to the HKLM to accommodate the new feature:

Hook dll: upmoutlookhook.dll and upmsearchsvc.dll

Registry settings to inject upmoutlookhook.dll into outlook.exe by APC hook framework:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs\upmOutlookHook\outlook.exe] 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_DLLs\upmOutlookHook\outlook.exe] 

Hi, I set the two keys to "0" and my UPM is still saving the OST Outlook file. I rebooted the VDA and still same issue. My issue is that the OST files are too large to put it in the UPM Profile folder and takes about 3 minutes for the user to login to their session which is not acceptable. Any help would be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.c127a12a4c0534ec4c0a2afcc056f88a.png