Load balancing storefronts

Sean Ritter

I am working on load balancing two storefronts with netscaler.  I have successfully set up the load balancing and everything is showing as UP.  When accessing an application via receiver it returns the error "Unable to launch your application.  Contact your help desk with the following information:  Cannot connect to the Citrix Xenapp server.  Network issues are preventing your connection."

If I remove the load balancing configuration and configure the connection to the storefront through the wizard "Integrate with Citrix Products/XenApp and XenDesktop" it works and I do not receive any errors.

Am I supposed to use two VIPs, one Loadbalancing VIP and then point the Wizard at that VIP?

To load balance, you need the VIP to assign to the lb vserver, at least one SNIP (subnet ip) that allows the NS to reach the destination servers.  And the feature needs to be enabled.  If you are load balancing with SSL, then you will need a cert bound to the lb vserver as well.

Try sharing your lb config for more specific troubleshooting.

show ns runningconfig | grep <lb vserver name> -i

show ns runningconfig | grep <service name> -i

1) What persistence do you have configured on your lb vserver?  SourceIP is recommended; without persistence it will not work.

2) REgarding your second issue, you either do manual load balancing OR you use the wizard. You don't typically do both.

So decide what are you load balancing:  storefront, xml brokers, or both?

You can then do them manually or using the wizard.  The wizard handles the service and lb vserver config for you; but you have more flexibility if you do it manually without the wizard.

For StoreFront recommended config:  SSL (end to end) with lbmethod:leastconnection and persistence:SourceIP and appropriate timeout.

For XML Brokers recommended config:  SSL (end to end) with lbemothod:leastconnection and persistence:none

You can then assign monitors after the services are created.

You will then require a VIP for each lb vserver, a cert for SSL, and know the destination IPs for the actual storefront servers and xml brokers/controllers.   

In addition, you will need a SNIP that can be used to access the backend IPs.

If you have connection issues at this point, you need to double check your persistence. And double check the actual storefront's configuration for the xml broker integration.

And compare your lb config with that of the wizard to see if there is a problem.

show ns runningconfig | grep <lb vserver name> -i

show ns runningconfig | grep <service name> -i

Archived