Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Visual C++ Causing Errors in App & Platform Layer Installs

Question

Hi,

Attached is an image of an error I've encountered in numerous App Layers which is being caused by the existence of C++ in the OS Layer. Going back to the beginning, Visual C++ 2017 (x86 & x64) were in the base OS Layer, installed by VMware Tools (installed in the VM prior to importing to ELM). First encounter was with an App Layer for OpenText eDOCS which was trying to do a Visual C++ component to the install (an install outside of App Layering I didn't get the error as an FYI). I managed to get around this by putting a bunch of C++'s in the OS Layer (a Synergy session recommended putting C++'s in the OS Layer) which got around the issue for that app. I've had two more App Layers with the issue, one of which I have been able to bypass the issue using IGNORECRT=1 in the MSI command line, but failed for the other.

I'm now back in the Platform Layer trying to install the WEM Agent, which has SQL Server Compact as a pre-requisite (x86 & x64) and I can't seem to bypass the C++ requirement. This is going to become a problem if I keep hitting apps with C++ requirements.

Anyone seen this and figured a way around it?

Thanks

Matt

VC Error.JPG

C++.JPG

4 answers to this question

Interesting thing I just discovered. I'd added those C++ Redists to a version of the OS Layer, then packaged the eDOCS layer using that version. However, the template I published with the eDOCS app in it was based on the previous version of the OS Layer (which had just the 2017 C++ Redist from the VMware Tools install) and everything is still working. Is this a possible workaround for my issue? The eDOCS app only needed 2015, which is covered with 2017 - it just didn't like that it was already there. 

The whole reason to install C++ libraries in the OS layer is so that the apps don't install their own versions which can make it harder to troubleshoot because you dont know exactly which version will surface on the published image.  The installer should be ok with seeing an installed version so it can skip that version.  Normally where I would think it would still want to install is if its a newer version of the library than the one installed.  I do think the best approach is to always install C++ libraries in the OS layer so that they can be updated with Windows Update.  Of course that is definitely harder to manage as you find apps that have newer versions and you need to go back and patch the os layer before creating the new layer.  I have not personally seen the error you are getting maybe someone from support will replay.  You can also open a ticket on the issue.

Ho Rob,

I got frustrated with what was happening, figuring it just wasn't right what I was seeing. So I started again with a new OS Layer and building from there. Difference was I installed 2008-2019 C++ Redistributables in my base virtual machine prior to import as an OS Layer. With this new OS Layer, I've not had the same issue. So either it wasn't liking C++ Redistributables being added into an OS Layer version, or it was the Sophos install in the OS Layer doing it. I haven't done Sophos in the OS Layer just yet, so I'll update once I've done this if I have the same issues. Obviously this would be a big issue if Sophos was causing it.

Thanks

Matt

Had similar issues with C++ Libraries

I've found if the app you're installing in an Applayer can't find the specific version of VC++ library in your OS layer, it will fail

In the example you posted the SQL server install is specifically looking for VC++ 8.0.50727 x32bit and it appears you've only got the x64bit version installed

image.thumb.png.982cabf75e1f0b78409d111d61db0e30.png