Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Target devices boot issues - Windows Logo or black screen.

Question

Hello,

We have an open case with Citrix but I just need to ask here. Maybe somebody has had the same problem and found a solution.

We have PVS servers running version 1808.1. Master Image is Windows Server 2016. Everything was working fine and smooth until we upgraded our servers from XenServer 7.1 to 7.6. Now about 40-50% of our servers doesn't boot at all. All we are seeing is Windows Logo or black screen. What we need to do then is to Force shutdown or force reboot those servers and try again. Sometimes it helps to just force reboot one time, another time we have to do this couple of times. It is RANDOM which servers hangs on reboot. First we thought that it can have something with image and updated XenTools to do (upgraded xentools via reverse img.) so we have taken out old image from backup (with XenTools 7.1 installed - so this one is BEFORE reverse img.) but it is the same problem.

Sometimes it starts, another time we need to force shutdown/reboot couple of times so I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the image. There were NO changes to network stuck, nor storage. We have just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.6 (XenServer), upgraded XenTools, uploaded new vDisk and booted target devices. What I have done was reinstalling target device software, VDA agent and XenTools. Again - did not help.

What we are seeing after it hangs on Windows logo in about 5 min it's that network activity is 0 and one CPU goes to 100 % and stays like this forever until we force restart it.

On the PVS server site I can see network traffic from those servers in like 50 seconds and then it goes down and after some seconds or so, they disappear. Right now we had disabled scheduled

reboot and we do this manually each Friday.

Anyone had the same problem or so?

Thanks for all suggestions.

1 answer to this question