Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Office Layer Broke after re-doing 1809 update.

Darin McClain

Question

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for me on this one. I accidentally removed a few apps with the Citrix Optimizer that I wanted to add back. I could not get them to re-install using powershell methods found online, so I reverted to going back a few version on my OS layer to before I did the optimizations. This was also before I did the 1809 update. So, I re-did the 1809 update, re-did my optimizations minus the ones I wanted to leave intact this time, and published new images. This caused the office issue. I tried making a new version of the Office layer, no luck, even tried making a whole new Office layer from scratch, no luck. For the end user, they get an "office needs to be repaired" box. When you click repair, it's almost immediate, and then works fine. It will occur 1-2 more times when opening office products, then it will stop, until you reboot that is and grab a new machine. Then you have to do it another 2-3 times. Even tried a fresh user layer, still does it.

The only thing out of the norm, was I had to update to 1809 via a disc because it would not do so via windows updates. Don't think I have any deferment GP settings in place to do so.

If someone has a method to restore the app packages so I can use that to re-install the apps, like Sticky Notes for instance, it might be easier to work around this issue instead.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

8 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

On your new office layer Did you run the prep command to back up the licensing files?  What errors do you see in the office activation logs?  Normally that error happens when the license files from the office layer are not copied over those on the vda. 

I didn't mess with any activation stuff, I might of missed something in the new layer.

But if this error is activation related, why is my original Office layer that was working fine now breaking after I re-updated the OS layer only? 

I give up on trying to fix the app packages. Nothing I do gets me a working powershell script to re-install the app or even windows store.

For office to work without the reconfiguring dialogue you have to use our scripting which backs up yhe licensing files  in the office layer and copies them to each vda either when we create the image or on boot.  Reference the office recipe for more details on that 

on the removed uwp apps. As far as i know the only way they can be added is the method you used which is to upgrade the os layer to a new feature release. 

4 hours ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

For office to work without the reconfiguring dialogue you have to use our scripting which backs up yhe licensing files  in the office layer and copies them to each vda either when we create the image or on boot.  Reference the office recipe for more details on that 

on the removed uwp apps. As far as i know the only way they can be added is the method you used which is to upgrade the os layer to a new feature release. 

Just remembered something else that happened out of the norm and forgot to mention. When I published my latest image, it did not shutdown automatically and take a snapshot. The VM stayed running for hours until I hit shutdown guest. Then it took the snapshot automatically. Think some scripts are getting hung up?

Darin

23 hours ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Thats good to know you should make sure your boot script is still defined.  Run gpedit on one of your desktop and go to computer settings>windows Settings>Scripts>Startup and make sure c:\windows\setup\scripts\kmsdir\kmssetup.cmd is in there.  Also make sure all the scripts are there and that they are not blocked.

Yup, all those files are gone! Just a few log files left in there, haha. I copied all the files from an older OS version into my published image just for a quick test. Ran the office activation script, then it shut itself down. I took a new snap, then recomposed a pool and all is working well now. Can't believe the 1809 update via disc blew those files out where as the 1809 update via windows update didn't do that to me a month or so ago.

4 hours ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

On a feature update the windows folder is all new and when you finalize we normally copy all those files from the old to the new. Not sure why that didnt happen for you unless you ran the windows cleanup before finalizing. 

I probably did do a windows cleanup. It all makes sense now! Thanks a ton Rob.