Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Anyone using MCS and SCVMM 2019? MAC Pool issues

Pter Pumpkin

Question

Hi everyone!

We have recently updated our staging environment version of System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) from 2016 to the GA release of 2019. Since the update our MCS catalog have not been able to update, VMM gives the below error:

Error (25270)
VMM failed to allocate a MAC address to network adapter '<Catalog Name>'. Verify whether the MAC address pool has free addresses for allocation (or) the specified MAC address is not assigned to other network adapters.

Recommended Action
Create additional MAC address pool or provide a different MAC address from existing MAC address pool and retry the operation.

There are about 30,000 free MAC's in the pool, so definitely not an issue there. 

Creating VM's manually through VMM, or updating VM's works fine without issue.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas where i may be able to check for more info as what is going on?

Perhaps MCS is not compatible with VMM 2019?

Cheerio,

Pter

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I opened a ticket with support about this issue and all they could tell me was that the product team relayed that it would be supported in "H2 2020" so we might be 9 months from having a solution for this. They also implied it might not be supported by any of the LTSR versions, only the new rolling releases.

This whole response has been profoundly disappointing. No productive responses about even a convoluted workaround, so I'm up a creek after our 2016->2019 transition and have to do everything manually. SCVMM 2019 is borderline industry standard at this point, and especially for managing hyperconverged clusters, it's the only central management tool and version that supports the additional features required. This should have been an extremely high development priority, and now here we are a year after release with the only answer being "wait 3-9 more months and we might support it then." 

• Like 3

Hi guys!

Luckily, this was only deployed in our pre-prod environment. We decided it was easier to convert our Citrix servers back from MCS to regular ones instead of downgrading VMM.

We spoke to some people from Citrix and they believe support for VMM 2019 will be released in Q3 this year.

From your favorite online pumpkin,

Pter

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Any word on the SCVMM 2019 support? It's now September of 2020. 
The guy last month conveyed his concern and is looking for answers. I am too. 
I have talked to MVPs within my business they have no idea. 

I like many people on here have had clients move to either an Azure Stack HCI (WAC managing) option or an option with SCVMM 2019 and have had everything break. 
Clients (client IT managers etc) who are straight infrastructure people don't understand why this does not work. 
Having to be dragged in mid project or after a project has been completed and go, by the way Citrix doesn't support this, it's been on their roadmap since the end of last year is unacceptable to me and to my clients. 

Some clients are considering of moving away from Citrix because of this. 

Can a pilot program be put in place, anything? 

Looking forward to Citrix's reply on this matter. 

• Like 1

Hi Pter

We are having the same issue running Citrix Virtual Apps 1811 and SCVMM 2019. Thought I had setup something wrong in SCVMM and was being to pull my hair out!

I also noted that SCVMM 2019 isn't supported yet so may need to use SCVMM 2016 (probably best option) but if you do find a fix would be grateful if you could post it so I can retain some of my hair please. Likewise I'll post if I do get this resolved.

Ive only tried with Gen2 machines so might try a Gen1 machine and see if that makes any difference, not that is should but may be worth trying?

Many thanks

Pete

Edit: SCVMM 2016 doesn't support Server 2019 in the VMM Fabric so we are a bit stuck as we are running Hyper-V 2019 hosts... so we either need to look at downgrading our hosts and  SCVMM to 2016 or waiting for MCS to support SCVMM 2019...

Edited by peter.liebermann@hotmail.co.uk
Add text

Hello everyone

We have the same issue with version 1906 and SCVMM 2019! Is there any workaround from Citrix?

Error in SCVMM

Error (25270)
VMM failed to allocate a MAC address to network adapter 'Preparation - MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19'. Verify whether the MAC address pool has free addresses for allocation (or) the specified MAC address is not assigned to other network adapters.

Recommended Action
Create additional MAC address pool or provide a different MAC address from existing MAC address pool and retry the operation.

Error in Citrix Studio (by machine catalog generation)

Error Id: XDDS:067EDB65

Exception:
    Citrix.Orchestration.Base.LogicModels.Exceptions.ProvisioningTaskException An error occurred while preparing the image.
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.ThrowOnTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : FailedToCreateImagePreparationVm
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : Failed to create vm Preparation - MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19, VMM failed to allocate a MAC address to network adapter 'Preparation - MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19'. Verify whether the MAC address pool has free addresses for allocation (or) the specified MAC address is not assigned to other network adapters. Failed to create vm Preparation - MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19, VMM failed to allocate a MAC address to network adapter 'Preparation - MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19'. Verify whether the MAC address pool has free addresses for allocation (or) the specified MAC address is not assigned to other network adapters.
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19'
    18.06.2019 08:11:59

Get-LogSite  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ********
    Start-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -Source "Studio" -StartTime "18.06.2019 06:10:29" -Text "Create Machine Catalog `'MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19`'"
    New-BrokerCatalog  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -AllocationType "Random" -BearerToken ******** -IsRemotePC $False -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -MinimumFunctionalLevel "L7_20" -Name "MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19" -PersistUserChanges "Discard" -ProvisioningType "MCS" -Scope @() -SessionSupport "MultiSession" -ZoneUid "2b84f170-348f-454b-bb6a-b740fa34937c"
    New-AcctIdentityPool  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -AllowUnicode -BearerToken ******** -Domain "DOMAIN" -IdentityPoolName "MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19" -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -NamingScheme "XXX-XAP-00#" -NamingSchemeType "Numeric" -OU "OU=XXX,DC=XXX,DC=XXX" -Scope @() -ZoneUid "2b84f170-348f-454b-bb6a-b740fa34937c"
    Set-BrokerCatalogMetadata  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -CatalogId 5 -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -Name "Citrix_DesktopStudio_IdentityPoolUid" -Value "11d6d65b-a8b6-4f7b-baf5-11df4bddb169"
    New-HypVMSnapshot  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -LiteralPath "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\IAAS\XXX-XAP-000.vm" -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -SnapshotName "Citrix_XD_MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19"
    Test-ProvSchemeNameAvailable  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -ProvisioningSchemeName @("MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19")
    New-ProvScheme  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -CleanOnBoot -CustomProperties "<CustomProperties xmlns=`"http://schemas.citrix.com/2014/xd/machinecreation`" xmlns:xsi=`"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance`"><Property xsi:type=`"StringProperty`" Name=`"UseManagedDisks`" Value=`"true`" /></CustomProperties>" -HostingUnitName "IAAS" -IdentityPoolName "MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19" -InitialBatchSizeHint 1 -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -MasterImageVM "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\IAAS\XXX-XAP-000.vm\Citrix_XD_MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19.snapshot" -NetworkMapping @{"8CAA3350-1BBC-4DB0-9B0F-B6513E7ADBE0"="XDHyp:\HostingUnits\IAAS\\XX-XXX.network"} -ProvisioningSchemeName "MC_XXXX_PROD_W2k19" -RunAsynchronously -Scope @() -VMCpuCount 2 -VMMemoryMB 49152
    Remove-ProvTask  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -LoggingId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -TaskId "92986b17-4ce8-43b6-a788-bb59aa656560"
    Stop-LogHighLevelOperation  -AdminAddress "DDC_SERVERNAME_FQDN:80" -BearerToken ******** -EndTime "18.06.2019 06:11:59" -HighLevelOperationId "27d1f4ed-ee16-451b-9779-068cc35dc0a7" -IsSuccessful $False

We need to use SCVMM 2019 because we already use Server 2019, which in turn only supports SCVMM 2019.

Best thanks for support.

Regards,

Oliver

Edited by omonigatti
Tipping mistake

Hmmm. We were holding out for 1906 to be honest but can see this still isn’t supported! 

Has anyone tried PVS with SCVMM2019 and using XenDesktop setup wizard? PVS requirements says scvmm2012 or later and the VM preparation process of PVS compared to MCS is different but just wondering if anyone had much luck with PVS and SCVMM2019?

In the meantime we have implement a PVS infrastructure. But we not used the XenDesktop setup wizard, because this customer have only a small sizing environment with 4 xenapp servers. So we generate the VM's manually.

By our research we have found out, that SCVMM 2019 (and 2016) supports two methods for MAC-address by vm generation:

1. Dynamic
  2. Static MAC-address, but you can only give 00:00:00:00:00:00 and SCVMM give automatically a MAC from the mac pool. You can't give directly a MAC.

I don't now how MCS or PVS generate the MAC-address. When Citrix generate a own MAC-address, then this will failed, because SCVMM will generate the MAC by himself.

It would be really helpful if the time for SCVMM 2019 support was known. We have a few more projects to come, so we could plan something better.

Hi all,

We are targeting to release PVS support for SCVMM 2019 in next release coming out and MCS support for 1H 2020.  In the meantime, SCVMM 2016 UR7 supports Windows 2019 guest.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4496920/update-rollup-7-for-system-center-2016-virtual-machine-manager   The issue with MCS is the MAC address as discussed in this thread.  MCS is setting with its own MAC address range instead of letting SCVMM to decide which is what PVS does therefore PVS does not have this issue.  Hope this helps

Thanks Yuhua-- is there any work around that we can be apart of ?  Q1 2020 (I assume is what you meant) seems really far off considering how long SCVMM 2019 will have been out by then.

SCVMM 2016 doesn't manage 2019 S2D clusters so it really hurts us and we have had to build duplicate non MCS/PVS VMS because of this. 

@Chris GahlsdorfSorry for the typo, yes, hopefully early 1H 2020.  Sorry for the trouble, we have a number of competing priorities and it didn't make it into next quarter planning.  You can still run 2016 cluster with S2D.  We generally don't focus on testing mismatched SCVMM and host version as the matrix will be very big, we will certainly fix issue but you have higher risk of running into issue and then waiting for a fix.

Guys, this is horrible.  We have migrated from VMWare to Hyper-V (using SCVMM 2019).  After getting our legacy stuff moved over, it was time to begin focusing on our Citrix environment.  Instead of upgrading, we opted to build a new environment from scratch.  T our surprise, we have been brick-walled by this issue and are now at a dead stand-still.  Early 1H is a long way when the boss is breathing down your neck.  

Can you at least give us a work-around until this is properly addressed? If not, +1 for increasing the priority on this issue!