Best practice for c++ 2013 runtimes

Andreas Goretzky

Question

Hi, 

I have an ongoing problem / questions  about some c++ runtimes and how to handle this on the thing which is renamed so frequently that I only call it "the Citrix server".

Citrix still delivers all Xenapp / Virtual apps with c++2013/2015 both 32 and 64 bit RTM starting with the version 7.12 

On the delivery controller only the C++2015 32 / 64 bit is installed.

On the session host the C++2015 32 / 64 bit and c++2013 32 / 64 bit is installed.

And what to do if I want to roll out software on session hosts?

Some applicatoins install the c++2013 32 bit in the version 12.0.30501 which has a severe bug - it uninstalls the c++2013 64 bit runtime together with the 32 bit runtime.

But doesnt delete it's files becasue they are in use by the VDA, so they are stored in the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key somewheren in the HKCU ... SessionManager

So the software completes it's installation, it works, it can be published in Citrix studio.

However the session host won't survive the next reboot - if the admin doesn't reinstall the C++2013 64 bit BEFORE the reboot or manages to get it on the session host AFTERWARDS with SCCM, GPO rollout, WSUS or PSEXEC. Without that the c++2013 64 bit is missing and the VDA won't start, and won't register, and looking into the event protocol one can find that a MSVCR120.dll is missing in c:\windows\system32

So what is best practice here?

Is it valid repair to re-install the C++2013 64 bit after a software installation removes it unintentionally? The 12.0.30501 is EOL at Microsoft, and they expressed their regrets... 

Or is it better to install the newer C++2013 prior to the Citrix product installation? 

This is sort of henn-eg problem.

1 answer to this question

Archived