Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How do I power off the XenServer host using the power button?

Nirong Bin

Question

I installed XenServer 7.1.2 on HUAWEI 2288H V5. When I pressed the power button, XenServer did not respond, just like it did not receive the power off signal.

Does it mean that the XenServer host can only be powered down through CLI or Xencenter?  If not, How to make the power off button work?

Thanks 

8 answers to this question

At best you might be able to get the power button to shut down XenServer properly, but your VM's likely will be uncleanly shut down. 

The best is to either use XenCenter. If you want to get fancy you could get into shutdown scripts to shut down VM's before a reboot 

if you have a particular order and such. About the only time I shut mine down is hotfix time.

--Alan--

Thank you for your reply.

Pressing the power button on a HUAWEI 2288H V5 triggers a soft power off signal, and I confirm that OS received the signal. Here's the evidence.

[root@xenserver-zptsqsyn ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep "acpi\|CPU0"
            CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5       CPU6       CPU7
   9:         11          0          0          0          0          0          0          0  xen-pirq-ioapic-level  acpi
[root@xenserver-zptsqsyn ~]# ipmitool power soft
Chassis Power Control: Soft
[root@xenserver-zptsqsyn ~]# cat /proc/interrupts | grep "acpi\|CPU0"
            CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3       CPU4       CPU5       CPU6       CPU7
   9:         12          0          0          0          0          0          0          0  xen-pirq-ioapic-level  acpi

Therefore, does it mean that XenServer 7.1.2 ignores the soft power off signal?

Thanks

The power button on our servers deals AFAIK only with shutting down the hardware; there is no communication iwth the XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor OS, which is why the power button is not a good idea to use on probably most servers since there s no tie-in between the button and the OS running on that hardware. In your case, the power button does nothing at all?

If so, I'm guessing your BIOS may have a power button action option. Take a look here, for example: https://support.huawei.com/enterprise/en/doc/EDOC1000163550/e7311264/powering-off-the-server

-=Tobias