Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenserver 7.0 Poolmenber lost configuration after reboot

Alexander Avrambos

Question

Hi There,

yesterday i had to shut down a Xenserver Pool based on Xenserver 7.0 (Patches to XS70E061 applied) for the Electritian had to work on the Infrastrukture.

I used that downtime to change the physical Location of the Poolmaster. I can not see, that anything changed otherwise.

After Booting the Machines, wirth the MAster at first, the only Poolmember didn't show up in Xencenter. So i went to the Server and looked at the Console. it had started, the management coneole showed up.

The first things i noticed, were the missing Versioninformation on the top left and in the Status Display, The Information "No network configured" in the Status Display and no Intercaces shown up in "Network and Management Interface".

I went to the cli and looked at "xe pif-list" - the Command didn't work - it just gave back a flashing Prompt until ctrl.+c gave a break.

ifconfig -a showed the two physical Network cards and th l0- device. giving an IP to the physical NIC allowed to ping the poolmaster and Gateway.

I tried various articles dealing with lost NICs, but the xe-commands dornt work correctly. 

for there are Virtual Disks on the local storage, that doesent show up also in "Disk an Sorage Repositories", i didnt whant to risk loosing Data by reinstalling the System, as al lot of articles describe as a quick solution. 

any hints? 

Greetings

Alexander Avrambos

13 answers to this question

maybe it's best updating... i don't whant to do this now unprepared.

For i have no idea in eigther direction to look for the error, it's an option to do a fresh installation on the slave... i only have to set up the vm-configurations, for the Disks are on a poolwide storage...

But i realy would liked to have known, what the error was and how to solve it...

• Like 1

Hi Alan, thank you for your Reply,

Time is in sync. 

I also did the xe poll-recovery-slaves on the master and the xe-toolstack-restart on the slave. Nothing changed. I noticed, that in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ no ifcfg-XXX files for eth0 or eth1 exited. They should bei created automaticly? I tried to create these files as they are on the master (with the mac i could get from ifconfig -a)

xe commands dont work.

I ran a full installation, for i could not reach the Slave after getting it out of the pool from the Poolmaster-Side... The former Slave simply had no network Connection and no XE Command worked.

After Installing and installing all the updates, what realy didn't last that long, i could add it to the pool ... but now it has problems in Connecting to an iSCSI-Device!!! Ahhhh!!! "The Storage Repository is not available".... 

But that will be a new Story;-) Thank you very much für your input! I will work out, when to upgrade an what Version it will be... 

Again: thank you for you effort in this Forum...

Alexander

I didn't know you had an iSCSI connection. A new install generates a new IQN so you likely need to 

add that to your storage array so it has permission.  What you can also do in the future is make a 

note of your IQN and change it once you are installed.

--Alan--

47 minutes ago, Alan Lantz said:

I didn't know you had an iSCSI connection. A new install generates a new IQN so you likely need to 

add that to your storage array so it has permission.  What you can also do in the future is make a 

note of your IQN and change it once you are installed.

--Alan--

Thank you very much for this idea. 

Another thing: i had Chap enabled for iscsi but decided to work without chap. how can ich modify the storageproperties in xenserver? 

Alexander