Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Missing Shutdown to Finalize on Desktop

Question

On a new Windows 10 Enterprise installation in Azure, I install the os machine tools 19.3.0. However, it does not create the "Shutdown to Finalize" shortcut on the desktop but I also notice the files are missing under C:\Program Files\Unidesk. The normal files under etc and uniservice are also not there.  I tried uninstalling the software but I get an error about importwsclient. I've never seen it do this before but I'm hoping someone else has.

image.thumb.png.59d851b39cec91a8bfb1424bcf2c6ff4.png

5 answers to this question

I do not recall seeing that error, so I am going guess a little, which may not be a good idea. First, we do not have an uninstall option, for any of our drivers or machine tools. What exactly did you select to try to uninstall? To remove the data associated with the OS Machine tools, which are startup scripts, you can delete the scripts and remove the startup script definition from gpedit.msc or the registry

Is the failure happening when you add a version to an existing OS layer? Is this the first revision of a recently imported, base OS layer? If the normal files, as you noted, are not there, it would appear like the image preparation tool, may not have executed properly or was not ran in the Gold Image, before it was imported to create the new, base OS layer. 

So the machine tools install properly. It is the Image Preparation Tool that is not installing properly (setup_64.exe).  If you run it more than once, then you get the typical Modify, Repair, and Remove options. If you select Remove, then you get the error mentioned.

As I stated this is a new Windows 10 install. I am trying to prepare the image so I can create the OS Layer. It just appears something is happening during the run of setup_64.exe and it's not creating all the files in their directories. The first symptom of this was the fact "Shutdown to Finalize" shortcut was not on the desktop after it ran.

The Image Preparation tool should only be ran once, in the Gold Image(GI), before the GI is imported into the ELM. Then one creates the base OS layer. The Shutdown For Finalize shortcut does not appear in the GI vm. That shortcut would only appear when a new layer or a revision of an existing layer is being done via the ALMC(App Layering Management Console). Also, the Prep tool should not be ran multiple times.

Since it appears you working with the GI. How was the Gold Image vm created i.e. from an ISO, clone of an existing windows 10 vm, other?

I know you don't run it more than once. I was providing the troubleshooting steps because you asked how I got a removal option. I wouldn't run it more than once in a normal situation. :)

Anyhoo, I created a fresh VM again, installed it as normal and it created the OS layer. Created a new version and saw the files that I'm used to seeing. Don't think I ever paid attention before that it didn't happen until after I created the OS Layer. When I didn't see the files, I panicked thinking something was wrong with the gold image. App Layering is a tedious process so I didn't want to start with a jacked OS image if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks for your response.