Welcome to our new Citrix community!

The behaviour of certain Windows values in non-persistent VDI

Question

I used to support a large non-persistent citrix environment, but no longer work at that organisation so cannot test this myself. 

I have a few questions relating to persistent values in non-persistent Windows 10 VDI environments:

• Are there any known non-persistent configurations where the desktops hostnames do not remain the same after user sessions? To my knowledge there are not (unless the catalogs are rebuilt from scratch, but I just want to be sure).

• Is the value below always different for every VDI, and does it change after every user session/desktop cycle? Is it ever influenced by the master image?

(Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography).MachineGuid

• Is the value below always different for every VDI, and does it ever change after every user session/desktop cycle? Is it ever influenced by the master image?

(Get-WMIObject Win32_ComputerSystemProduct).UUID

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

On 5/10/2019 at 5:28 AM, James Kindon said:

If you seal your machine appropriately all machines should always be completely unique, those values should always be unique 

This is not true for (Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography).MachineGuid. At least not for Citrix App Layering and PVS. We are facing a current issue with vendor software that brought this to light. All of our App Layered PVS 2019 Servers have the same MachineGUID. This caused all machines to have the same vendor generated ID. Clearing the MachineGUID in the registry does successfully generate unique vendor IDs, however the MachineGUID registry entry never gets reset, it remains blank.