1709 to 1809 issues - adobe associations etc

Josh James

Question

I'm working through the pain of moving from 1709 to 1809.1...  Running App Layering 19.03, VMware Horizon View 7.6, and VMware vSphere 6.0 u3.  No elastic layers, just a few non-elastic app layers and full user layers on non-persistent View Composer VMs.

Any time after upgrading to 1809.1 via ISO, publishing an image gets stuck waiting for the VM to shut down which never happens.  If I shut it down manually it takes a snapshot and finishes publishing and appears to be ok.  Thoughts?  I can get over that one, just annoying.

I had to create a new platform layer, otherwise I had no start menu (even tried adding a version of the platform layer with the new OS layer version).  Didn't get any further into testing the add layer path after I saw no Start Menu.  I'm assuming there's no way to just update the existing platform layer and have the start menu work?  I apparently didn't do a great job of documenting the little fixes that went into the original platform layer...

I'm also having issues now with Adobe Reader file associations.  The association isn't there for a new user or one upgraded from 1709 where the association was working.  Is there a way to fix that since the profiles are already existing?  I tried creating a new version of the layer containing Adobe Reader with 1809 as the base as well as a whole new app layer with Adobe, still no go.   It's there as an option for open with but there will be no end to the calls if the association isn't there from the start for new and upgraded users or at least a prompt with a choice.  FWIW, Microsoft Office associations from another layer still work fine.

Out of curiosity, if I create a new layer (not a new version) for an app like Adobe Reader or Office that is the same version as before, will any user preferences stick since they're just file/registry changes redirected to their full user layer?  I'm assuming it just works but wasn't sure if there was some wizardry there knowing what app layer it was tied to.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I did not leave the windows.old, I cleaned it up with disk cleanup (and rebooted a few times) before finalizing my layer.   Could that be part of the problem?    When does windows.old  get cleaned up if I don't do it then?   Plenty of space, just seemed like it would be messy to leave it there and cause issues later on if Windows tried to clean it with full user layers in the mix.

I recommend you open a case. There are too many different issues going on, which I would rather have, properly documented and data, logs analyzed. 

I can tell you, you should not delete the windows.old folder. We need it for the finalize process and will remove it when needed, done. Also, all changes made once a domain user has logged in and has a User Layer attached, are saved to the User Layer disk. Thus changes you make to an app layer should not have any impact on the users saved data, preferences.

This applies to the OS layer, if that is where you removed the folder.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX234413

Again, I recommend you open a case for further assistance.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, Josh James said:

I'm also having issues now with Adobe Reader file associations.  The association isn't there for a new user or one upgraded from 1709 where the association was working.  Is there a way to fix that since the profiles are already existing?  I tried creating a new version of the layer containing Adobe Reader with 1809 as the base as well as a whole new app layer with Adobe, still no go.   It's there as an option for open with but there will be no end to the calls if the association isn't there from the start for new and upgraded users or at least a prompt with a choice.  FWIW, Microsoft Office associations from another layer still work fine.

I just started testing the 1709 to 1809 upgrade in our environment (XS7/XD 7.15 LTSR/App Layering 1902), and came across the same issue with all file associations. In my case, it was because the 1809 upgrade replaced my custom OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file in the OS Layer. I'd suggest creating your own XML file to really control everything easily. I simply copy the file while working on the OS layer, but you can also deliver it via GPO:

$Invocation = (Get-Variable MyInvocation).Value
$ScriptPath = Split-Path $Invocation.MyCommand.Path

Write-Host "Setting the default Programs for Secured devices..." -foregroundcolor Green
Rename-Item "$env:WINDIR\System32\OEMDefaultAssociations.xml" "OEMDefaultAssociations.orignal" -Force
Copy-Item -Path "$ScriptPath\Secured\OEMDefaultAssociations.xml" -Destination "$env:WINDIR\System32" -Force

Here's a sample of my XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<DefaultAssociations>
  <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;Paint.Picture" />
  <Association Identifier=".gif" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;giffile" />
  <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;jpegfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;jpegfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".mov" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MOV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".mp4" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MP4" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mpeg" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.mpeg" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mpg" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.mpg" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;pngfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX86746z2101ayy2ygv3g96e4eqdf8r99j;AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;TIFImage.Document" />
  <Association Identifier=".tiff" ProgId="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX86746z2101ayy2ygv3g96e4eqdf8r99j;AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;TIFImage.Document" />
  <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
  <Association Identifier=".wav" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WAV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".wma" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMA" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="htmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
  <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="htmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
  <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.URL" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" />
  <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXq0fevzme2pys62n3e0fbqa7peapykr8v" />
  <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="IE.HTTPS" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX90nv6nhay5n6a98fnetv7tpk64pp35es" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgID="AcroExch.Document.DC" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdfxml" ProgID="AcroExch.pdfxml" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".acrobatsecuritysettings" ProgID="AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".fdf" ProgID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".xfdf" ProgID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".xdp" ProgID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdx" ProgID="PDXFileType" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".api" ProgID="AcroExch.Plugin" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".secstore" ProgID="AcroExch.SecStore" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
</DefaultAssociations>

On 5/1/2019 at 10:59 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

I just started testing the 1709 to 1809 upgrade in our environment (XS7/XD 7.15 LTSR/App Layering 1902), and came across the same issue with all file associations. In my case, it was because the 1809 upgrade replaced my custom OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file in the OS Layer. I'd suggest creating your own XML file to really control everything easily. I simply copy the file while working on the OS layer, but you can also deliver it via GPO:

Here's a sample of my XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<DefaultAssociations>
  <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;Paint.Picture" />
  <Association Identifier=".gif" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;giffile" />
  <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;jpegfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;jpegfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".mov" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MOV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MP3" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".mp4" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MP4" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mpeg" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.mpeg" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".mpg" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.mpg" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="Applications\photoviewer.dll" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;Paint.Paint;Microsoft.PhotoManager.imagetype;pngfile" />
  <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX86746z2101ayy2ygv3g96e4eqdf8r99j;AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;TIFImage.Document" />
  <Association Identifier=".tiff" ProgId="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX86746z2101ayy2ygv3g96e4eqdf8r99j;AppX9vdwcvrwnbettpahnt26jswq0n8hgyah;TIFImage.Document" />
  <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
  <Association Identifier=".wav" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WAV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".wma" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMA" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXqj98qxeaynz6dv4459ayz6bnqxbyaqcs" />
  <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WMV" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXhjhjmgrfm2d7rd026az898dy2p1pcsyt;AppX6eg8h5sxqq90pv53845wmnbewywdqq5h" />
  <Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="htmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
  <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="htmlfile" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX4hxtad77fbk3jkkeerkrm0ze94wjf3s9" />
  <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.URL" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" />
  <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="IE.HTTP" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXq0fevzme2pys62n3e0fbqa7peapykr8v" />
  <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="IE.HTTPS" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppX90nv6nhay5n6a98fnetv7tpk64pp35es" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgID="AcroExch.Document.DC" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdfxml" ProgID="AcroExch.pdfxml" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".acrobatsecuritysettings" ProgID="AcroExch.acrobatsecuritysettings" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".fdf" ProgID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".xfdf" ProgID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".xdp" ProgID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".pdx" ProgID="PDXFileType" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".api" ProgID="AcroExch.Plugin" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
  <Association Identifier=".secstore" ProgID="AcroExch.SecStore" ApplicationName="Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1;AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723" />
</DefaultAssociations>

Curious why your XML file has hash's and mine doesn't.. and also the ApplyOnUpgrade part..

For example,

<Association Identifier=".3g2" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.3G2" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />

I haven't had time to revisit this, still down a different rabbit hole trying to get Chromebooks working better after our Horizon View 7.6 upgrade and I think some ChromeOS updates at the same time...

I stole the file association XML from our tech that set it up for the physical desktops so I'm not sure on the hashes.  Sounds like you found the answer of how to generate it but in case anyone else is curious, our tech said he got it all set then exported it with "Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations...."

Archived