Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Secure Mail doesn`t show attachments (iOS)

Tobias Schellenbach

Question

Hello,

there might be an annoying bug in SM 19.4.5.16 and maybe other versions. Users did complain that attachments aren`t shown. I could not believe that at first and tracked different messages and compared sizes. Then I experienced it by myself. An e-mail with 3 attachments (.PNG - normal size etc.) had no attachments although they are shown in Outlook and other e-mail clients.

This problem appears with Exchange 2010 and 2016. If the user forwards the problem mail to his own account, the attachments appear in the mail. I could not resolve the concrete circumstances, but it must have something to do with Secure Mail because other clients don`t have this problem. I can`t think of any settings in the MDX file or somewhere else that would cause those problems.

Did somebody experience the same problems and got a solution? Is this a known bug?

5 answers to this question

On 4/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, Tobias Schellenbach said:

Hello,

there might be an annoying bug in SM 19.4.5.16 and maybe other versions. Users did complain that attachments aren`t shown. I could not believe that at first and tracked different messages and compared sizes. Then I experienced it by myself. An e-mail with 3 attachments (.PNG - normal size etc.) had no attachments although they are shown in Outlook and other e-mail clients.

This problem appears with Exchange 2010 and 2016. If the user forwards the problem mail to his own account, the attachments appear in the mail. I could not resolve the concrete circumstances, but it must have something to do with Secure Mail because other clients don`t have this problem. I can`t think of any settings in the MDX file or somewhere else that would cause those problems.

Did somebody experience the same problems and got a solution? Is this a known bug?

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. I have sent a private message(same as below) to you to help with sharing the logs. Please check and share the logs.

Could you please help with below things,

Share logs from Secure Mail or Secure Hub to mohana.sundaram@citrix.com

Are you noticing this behavior every time you open the particular mail(original email) which had an issue?

Is that mail still present in your inbox now?

If 2 and 3 are YES,

Resync the problematic email and collect logs from SM and Outlook Web App,

Enable logging in OWA,

Open Outlook Web App, navigate to Settings -> Options/Mail -> Mobile Devices -> Select proper mobile device-> Tap on Start Logging

I will attach an image explaining these steps

Reconfigure SecureMail,

Delete the account in Secure Mail or reinstall SM and configure Secure Mail(You can do this using a spare iOS device as well if you have one)

Use Sync Mail Period option in Settings to make sure problematic email is synced(eg. 3 days)

Note: Above mentioned Outlook Web App logging should be enabled while email sync is in progress

Repro the issue by opening the problematic email 

Go to OWA and tap on Request Log button, you should receive an email with the log file attached. Collect logs from Secure Mail as well and share both logs to above-mentioned email.

We can have a live call if the above steps are complex. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Mohan

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 3.26.26 PM.png

Hello,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I can`t send any logs due to privacy issues.

But I could locate the problem at least for my e-mail.

SM doesn`t show any attachments if the e-mail is signed (in my case PGP). Another user had problems with a “normal” e-mail. This problem occurs on an Android device too.

It can`t be a limitation of the ActiveSync protocol because another e-mail app shows all attachments.

So this should be a bug?

Hi Tobias,
E-mail app can use other endpoints like EWS and Graph to fetch emails apart from Active Sync so, this issue might not be observed while using other endpoints. To investigate this issue further in detail, please get in touch with your admin and then raise a request to Citrix customer support.

Please let me know if any further help is needed.

Thanks,

Mohan

We contacted support and after some back and forth it was / is a known issue.

That was a few weeks ago an no release fixed the issue. This is very frustrating because we get a lot of signed e-mails with attachments.

In general, the feature to see attachments in an e-mail app is a normal core function, even if the e-mail is signed. I don`t get it why this bug isn`t fixed already. 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mohana Sundaram said:

Hi Tobias,
E-mail app can use other endpoints like EWS and Graph to fetch emails apart from Active Sync so, this issue might not be observed while using other endpoints. To investigate this issue further in detail, please get in touch with your admin and then raise a request to Citrix customer support.

Please let me know if any further help is needed.

Thanks,

Mohan

I just wanted to mention that after months of waiting this easy to replicate bug hasn`t been fixed. The new features within Secure Mail haven`t been helpful for me or my users. Instead of adding continuously new features this and other bugs should be fixed first. I couldn`t find any app witch the same bug. It`s a shame that an e-mail app doesn`t properly view attachments.