Welcome to our new Citrix community!

App Layering 19.2.0.17 - Windows 10 1709 to 1803 update - image runs awful

Matthew Weiner

Question

I'm hoping someone can help as I'm a bit stumped.  I went to upgrade my Windows 10 version 1709 to version 1803.  I updated the OS base image, re-ran the optimizer to remove scheduled tasks and disable unneeded services, made sure the machine tools were up to date, then created a new platform layer.  Everything went well, except the finished product.  It runs lousy, like every login stops at "preparing Windows" for 5-10 minutes.  App Layering comes up with an error "We are unable to load the required configuration files - unable to find the folder specified."  The "Search and Cortana" app burns CPU, the AppX Deployment service burns CPU, it can take a good 20+ minutes to settle down.  After that, it runs okay.  My 1709 base is fine, no complaints there.  It just after updating to 1803 that the problems began.  It's like something is being updated on every login.

I've tried redoing the update on the OS layer, stripping out all the applications to just an OS and platform, I even grabbed a demo of FSLogix to see if the profile could be the problem.  At this point I'm stumped.  I really don't want to have to start over, especially considering I'll probably have to do this process annually.  I feel like there must be something I'm missing or a mistake I made somewhere, but I've tried everything I can think of.

Any help is much appreciated.  My boss really wants to get 10 up by the summer.

2 answers to this question

I think you should open a ticket and get this to support.  Just a couple questions when you did your upgrade did you make the disk bigger to ensure you wouldn't run out of space and did you leave the windows.old to allow the upgrade process to copy files from it during finalization?

3 hours ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I think you should open a ticket and get this to support.  Just a couple questions when you did your upgrade did you make the disk bigger to ensure you wouldn't run out of space and did you leave the windows.old to allow the upgrade process to copy files from it during finalization?

Yes to both.  Windows works perfectly by itself, and the platform layer works perfectly, it's when I combine it all the result runs awful.  I'll take it to support.