Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Rolling Pool Upgrade VM Migration between old Version Hosts in Pool possible?

Jan Rasche

Question

Hi Community,

We have a 2 node pool. Added a 3rd node for redundancy during the pool update.

Startet manual wizard and upraded master.

Unfortunately manual wizard freed next the redundancy maschine automaticially.

But we do not like to upgrade this maschine.

But now we can not migrate VMs there to stora them there during upgrading the next host.

Is there any possibility to move VMs during upgrade to an other old version host?

Best, Jan

16 answers to this question

Hi Tobias,

I like to use this as my wway back maschine for the additional host. I had now upgraded it too ti 7.6. to be able to move VMs.

But I need it later on back as 7.5 for other pools to upgrade.

What would you suggest as best method to roll this spare maschine back later on to 7.5.. Remove it from the pool and roll back? Or simply reboott it later and roll back?

Best, Jan

P.S. But still wonder if there is any emergency way to move VMs between not upgraded hosts. Why ist this prevented et all? Ist here any reason for this?

Jan,

You would need to eject it from the pool if the OS is to be turned into a different version and rolled back to an earlier version, that's unavoidable. The alternative is to eject it from the pool and just re-install the older version, which is a similar investment in time (other than maybe some custom configurations).

As to moving VMs, they can be storage-migrated only from same to same versions or from older to newer, but not from newer to older installations.

-=Tobias

I'm a little confused on the need to move back and forth across versions. A pool and all its members should be committed to the same time.

Also, being on the CR release path you are pretty much promising to upgrade to the latest version when they are released.

--Alan--

Hi Tobias, hi Alan,

Yes its an additional machine, I will need to take out after upgrade. So I will remove from pool and than try to revert to 7.5.

Yes there are missing about 30 GB in RAM for full failover normally in this pool. But this is not in my domain.

The problem arrised using the manual rolling pool upgrade wizard. I had upgraded the master fine. After this was coming back up. The manual wizard was not that manual. It auto moved all VMs from my spare system as it was second in the pool. Therefor this 7.5 spare was empty. But I had needed it for temp storage of 3-4 VMs. But I could not move VMs from the other 7.5 system. So 7.5. to 7.5 was impossible at that time. Why is this so? It simply removed me from balancing.

Also a nearby question. Is there any posibility to change the sorting of the hosts in a pool. I mean master is first. But is there a way to sort slaves? As the wizard is going through them by this order?

Best, Jan

Jan,

If you do an automatic upgrade, you have no choice in the order of the non-master hosts being upgraded. One thing I have done in the past is to do the automatic upgrade to the point where the master is updated and booted back up. I then kill the upgrade procedure and do the rest manually, putting whatever host I want into maintenance mode, performing the updates, rebooting it, and shuffling VMs around again, as needed.

As to moving VMs to an older host, no that generally is not supported with the exception of doing so in the middle of a pool upgrade.

HTH,

-=Tobias