Welcome to our new Citrix community!

map two public IPs with the same dns

Jes M

Hi,

I've 2 netscalers with 2 different CS vServers (Public).

I want to split the incoming transactions evenly to the two netwcalers. had to do this because of the heavy incoming load. 

I mapped my dns with the 2 public IPs.

Could you recommend a way to spread the traffic evenly to both netscalers (expecting DNS select one address as roundrobin)?

After a bit of more research, GSLB appeared to be a very expensive option. 

We could use the same DNS with multiple public IPs. But making sure DNS select one address as round-robin is the gray area at the moment. 

Depending on what you are accessing via the CS VIP persistence can be a problem, i.e. if a client initially resolves to PublicIPX and after some time resolves to PublicIPY (within the same session) this *can be  problem*.  Whatever DNS service you use to do the distribution (NS GSLB or any other) should be intelligent enough to route persistent sessions to the same public IP within a reasonable timeout period

session that's already established will not be impacted by a dns change. Also you can play with the ttl value.

DNS servers  do not route anything. They resolve a name to an ip. They can have some intelligent features to load balance the traffic between 2 ip's for example.(like gslb does)

Also as long as you use GSLB active-active you should have the same vip's, content on the servers, etc. It will work just fine.

If you use the gslb on Citrix ADC i think there is  cookie persistance that you can use for http/SSL vips.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX205277

Thanks Mihai Cziraki, siddharthas!
The application listens on dns names only and have no sessions involved. Auth happens every time when a rest call is made.

Considering the scenario, I've added the CS vServer pub IPs of both netscalers to the dns name and went live. No problems seen so far.

But  DNS/rest call load balancing is still a problem. our dns service provider can't do round-robin. I do understand that I would need to configure GSLB active-active. Exploring more cost effective options at this point.