Welcome to our new Citrix community!

ADNS returning empty responses from same subnet

Ryan Peik

We are using GSLB for internal and external services across to datacenters. Externally everything is working as expected, and internally everything is working with the exception of a single subnet not being able to resolve GSLB DNS records against the secondary site ADNS server. We are using views to push clients to an internal IP if they are coming from an internal address space, and I can see the traffic hitting the view but ADNS is returning no record.

This issue sounds very similar to this customers post, unfortunately his resolution was moving to a solution similar to ours. https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/397128-gslb-with-dns-views/ 

If I force an NSLOOKUP against the ADNS service from this specific subnet that ADC has a leg in this is what I get. From anywhere else in the network it works as expected, returning an A record.

nslookup website.gslb.example.com (ADNS SNIP IP)
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  (ADNS SNIP IP)

*** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available for website.gslb.example.com

NStrace shows the query and response, but the response is empty.

• 2 weeks later...

Corrected the issue. Completely forgot that we had responder policy to prevent external clients from seeing internal records. Don't forget the " ! " in your policy if you are going to use this! :) 

((CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(10.0.0.0/8)||CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(192.0.0.0/16)||CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(172.0.0.0/12))  && DNS.REQ.QUESTION.DOMAIN.CONTAINS_ANY("GSLB_INTERNAL"))

Should be:

(!(CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(10.0.0.0/8)||CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(192.0.0.0/16)||CLIENT.IP.SRC.IN_SUBNET(172.0.0.0/12))  && DNS.REQ.QUESTION.DOMAIN.CONTAINS_ANY("GSLB_INTERNAL"))