Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Custom Virtual Driver breaks after Citrix Workspace App upgrade

Marius Stan

Question

A custom Virtual Driver for the Citrix Workspace App is registered by creating the following registry entries:

1. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICAClient\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\ICA3.0 -> VirtualDriverEx=CustomVirtualDriver

2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICAClient\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\CustomVirtualDriver -> DriverNameWin32 = CustomVirtualDriver.DLL

The problem that I've encountered is that after upgrading the Citrix Workspace App I get the following error message:

You might be having an issue with a Citrix virtual driver (clntinfo). Contact your system administrator for further assistance.

This error occurs because only the value of the VirtualDriverEx registry key is kept after upgrade. This causes the Citrix Workspace App to still try to load the custom Virtual Driver.

But the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICAClient\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\CustomVirtualDriver  gets deleted. This means Citrix Workspace App can't find the .dll to load for the custom Virtual Driver.

This issue can be reproduced as follows:

1. Install the Citrix Workspace App v19.2

2. Install the demo Virtual Driver from: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129961?download

3. Open a CitrixApp and confirm the custom Virtual Driver gets loaded

4. Upgrade to Citrix Workspace App v19.3

5. Try to open any CitrixApp and notice that we get the following error message:

Citrix_Virtual_Driver_Error.thumb.png.76b7d7785385eb15543cd024c6fcca6e.png

Further info:

1. This issue occurs when upgrading to any Citrix Workspace App version.

2. This issue doesn't occur when upgrading between Citrix Receiver versions.

3. This issue has also been reported for the HDX Skype Plugin here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX238932

And this has indeed been fixed for the HDX Skype Plugin, but only that. Any other custom Virtual Driver breaks after Citrix Workspace App upgrade. 

Questions:
1. Has this issue been reported?

2. Is there anything Citrix can do about this issue? 

2 answers to this question

Hi @Marius Stan,

Good Day :)

Could you please try this and let me know if it works?

On 32-bit Windows: Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client Name: VdLoadUnLoadTimeOut Type: REG_DWORD Data: Any value in seconds (Decimal)

On 64-bit Windows: Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Citrix\ICA Client Name: VdLoadUnLoadTimeOut Type: REG_DWORD Data: Any value in seconds (Decimal) (i.e 10)

You could also try to re-register KERNELBASE.DLL i.e. regsrv32 kernelbase.dll , please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Vikas Hiremath

6 hours ago, vikash said:

Hi @Marius Stan,

Good Day :)

Could you please try this and let me know if it works?

On 32-bit Windows: Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client Name: VdLoadUnLoadTimeOut Type: REG_DWORD Data: Any value in seconds (Decimal)

On 64-bit Windows: Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Citrix\ICA Client Name: VdLoadUnLoadTimeOut Type: REG_DWORD Data: Any value in seconds (Decimal) (i.e 10)

You could also try to re-register KERNELBASE.DLL i.e. regsrv32 kernelbase.dll , please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Vikas Hiremath

Thank you for your reply @vikash, but none of these suggestions helps me here.

As stated in the issue description, my problem is that the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICAClient\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\CustomVirtualDriver gets deleted after Citrix Workspace update. 

Increasing the wait-timeout for the virtual driver load doesn't help, because it cannot be loaded in the first place.

Archived