Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Launcing Workspace App on ChromeOS via messaging works first time, but not second

Riël Notermans

Question

I successfully create an extension that sends a message to the Citrix Workspace app, containing .ica data.

The workspace app opens perfect, with all settings provided.
The command is:

chrome.runtime.sendMessage("haiffjcadagjlijoggckpgfnoeiflnem", {"method":"launchSession","icaData":{...mydata} }, function(result) {})

But, when we close the session, and launch another session with the exact same method, the Citrix Workspace app crashes. In the Citrix Workplace Chrome app page the following error occurs: 

5cb9159581894_Screenshot2019-04-19at02_24_23.thumb.png.55a144bd704c46291e04a43e6978ec19.png

To me it seems like a bug in the workspace app, because uninstall and re-install works, or rebooting the whole chromebook.

Is there a way to reset the workspace app trough messaging or maybe have Citrix take a look at this?

Edited by rielzzapps
added screenshots

I just used the HDX SDK, and the receiver responds exactly the same.

Code used:

citrix.receiver.createSession(citrixReceiverId, connectionParams, sessionCreated);

function sessionCreated(sessionObj) {
	var launchData = {"type": "json",  "value": icaData};

function sessionResponseCallback(response) {
        console.log("start", response);
    }

sessionObj.start(launchData, sessionResponseCallback)
}

It launches Workspace just fine (see screen), but a second time I get the same error unfortunatedly.

5cb9d79c4f90c_Screenshot2019-04-19at16_12_35.thumb.png.522a512d9c5bb4df64072b94caddb461.png

Second:

5cb9d7c6e6457_Screenshot2019-04-19at16_14_07.thumb.png.811fc9c3582f52f007350069037b6135.png

5cb9d65688c22_Screenshot2019-04-19at16_07_46.thumb.png.ca7cc965e16cf0a8e375187affeaae7e.png

Edited by rielzzapps
code fix

Hi,
I am unable to repro the issue with the latest sample apps and the Chrome CWA.

Can you please confirm the version of the SDK  and the Chrome CWA being used ?

Also, are you facing the same problem when used with the sample apps of SDK ?

https://www.citrix.co.in/downloads/workspace-app/chrome/workspace-app-for-chrome-sdk-latest.html

https://developer-docs.citrix.com/projects/workspace-app-for-chrome-hdx-sdk/en/latest/#citrix-workspace-app-1808-for-chrome-hdx-sdk

I can immediatedly reproduce the issue with the code samples. I will make a screen recording of it of you like, with the consoles.

App version is installed for the organisation, including a config file. 

5cbee2d7a86c5_Screenshot2019-04-23at12_02_36.thumb.png.29a5f0864be39841e0daa304fa4f4fb3.png

My steps:

1) I install sample as extension
2) I whitelist the sample extension ID to the config file for workspace in domain

3)  I start the app, it shows the control window with uploada. start, create session etc buttons

4) I download a fresh ica, and upload it to the tool
5) I click create session
6) I click start
7) Citrix launches perfect, reads ica

8) I close citrix

9) I go to point 4)

10) Citrix workspace app does not launc and gives exact same cannot open property window
11) After reboot it works again

So what am I missing? The error is really a crash in the workspace app, and while it can be caused by a faulty message we send it shuold not crash without an error anyway.

Installation with this config.js file:

{ "settings": { "Value": { "settings_version": "1.0", "store_settings": { "name": "Citrix_launch", "externalApps": ["hbjkmiddceajlgpgbnclbdgogklmdedg","gkbippndbkmnekjidioiinafdhjkkjgi","hjbekapjdknmahoglmdejbngifmpmnea"] } } } }

This is the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DL6w9C277CpO0YnwasFsl5FmrJAZ37nM/view

- I trigger on downloading the .ica. The extension reads it, converts it to a JSON file, and sends trough the SDK to launch Citrix. First time, citrix launches and logs in perfectly (this means the ica file is read okay).
- Then I close citrix.

- I see some errormessages I clear (citrix extension always has some)

- I redo the download, so you see my extension log the same

- You see an error pop up in the citrix extension, that is the issue.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:51 AM, Riël Notermans said:

I successfully create an extension that sends a message to the Citrix Workspace app, containing .ica data.

The workspace app opens perfect, with all settings provided.
The command is:

chrome.runtime.sendMessage("haiffjcadagjlijoggckpgfnoeiflnem", {"method":"launchSession","icaData":{...mydata} }, function(result) {})

But, when we close the session, and launch another session with the exact same method, the Citrix Workspace app crashes. In the Citrix Workplace Chrome app page the following error occurs: 

5cb9159581894_Screenshot2019-04-19at02_24_23.thumb.png.55a144bd704c46291e04a43e6978ec19.png

To me it seems like a bug in the workspace app, because uninstall and re-install works, or rebooting the whole chromebook.

Is there a way to reset the workspace app trough messaging or maybe have Citrix take a look at this?

Have you used the sample Chrome SDK sample provided by Citrix that helps to launch session by sending messages ? Do you see same issue with that ?

Yes,

I get the exact same results, not matter if I use the SDK or do the messaging myself. 

I can make a video with the SDK as well but I didn't have that recent code here anymore. It doesn't matter: That error in the citrix app should not be there. In the end, the SDK does exactly the same.

6 minutes ago, Riël Notermans said:

Yes,

I get the exact same results, not matter if I use the SDK or do the messaging myself. 

I can make a video with the SDK as well but I didn't have that recent code here anymore. It doesn't matter: That error in the citrix app should not be there. In the end, the SDK does exactly the same.

My doubt is have you written sample extension yourself to message Citrix App or have you used the sample extension provided by Citrix ?

Can you please share me your sample extension so i will give a try ?