Welcome to our new Citrix community!

FreeNAS 4 NICS DirectAttach to hosts xcp-ng pool

Dror Zeno

Question

Hey,
I have 4 nics 10GB on FreeNAS and two each host.
I connect each to freeNas with one port on the hosts.
Only one can connect to FreeNAS and the other can't.

My address on FreeNAS:
nic 1: 172.16.10.10/30 -> Go to Host 1 nic 1 -> 172.16.10.9/30
nic 2: 172.16.10.20/29 -> Go to Host 2 nic 1 -> 172.16.10.19/29
nic 3: 172.16.10.30/30 -> Go to Host 3 nic 1 -> 172.16.10.29/30

Only in the master (Host 1) i can connect to FreeNAS and speed like 100Mbps 

from host 1 i can see the lun from this -> iscsiadm -m discovery --type sendtargets --portal 172.16.10.10

from host 2 i can see the lun from this -> iscsiadm -m discovery --type sendtargets --portal 172.16.10.20
from host 3 i can see the lun from this -> iscsiadm -m discovery --type sendtargets --portal 172.16.10.30

But i get empty response from this -.> multipath -ll (In all hosts except the host 1 that can connect to FreeNAS).
I config also iSCSI Multipath in xcp-ng and ISCI MPIO in FreeNAS but not success.
Anyone know ?

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

If these are 10 Gb ports, check your port settings whether they auto-negotiate the link speed or not; if not or are misconfigured, fix that and if still you're not successful, you can try to force the speed with ethtool or using xe, with somehting like:

xe pif-param-set uuid=<UUID of physical interface>other-config:ethtool-speed=10000

-=Tobias

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Thanks Tobias.

I fix this simply and put switch for 10GB.
But I can't get 10GB speed. All nics and switch support and work MTU 9000.
I get less the 1Gbps speed. You know why?
I test via iperf and i get around 4.5Gbps...

56 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

If these are 10 Gb ports, check your port settings whether they auto-negotiate the link speed or not; if not or are misconfigured, fix that and if still you're not successful, you can try to force the speed with ethtool or using xe, with somehting like:

xe pif-param-set uuid=<UUID of physical interface>other-config:ethtool-speed=10000

-=Tobias

Thanks Tobias.

It's an active environment and its safe to do:

?

The switch is configured correctly.

See what i see in NICS tabs in XEN hosts. i think its OK but i don't understand why i get 1Gbps network ..

Capture.JPG

10gg.JPG

I wouldn't hesitate to run it live. I've made such changes before and do not recall any negative impact.

you can also check network settings with ifconfig and ethtool, BTW.

If you push your network, you should be able to hit at least 3000 Mbs with a 10 Gb connection, provided you can actually push that much data into your network.

-=Tobias

5 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

I wouldn't hesitate to run it live. I've made such changes before and do not recall any negative impact.

you can also check network settings with ifconfig and ethtool, BTW.

-=Tobias

image.thumb.png.52db34d1c6f7b65cd1b00661fe33e52c.png

This is output for NIC 4 via ifconfig.
I see errors and drops .. maybe because jumbo frame ? 

I don't know what wrong here. I don't see anything that lowest the speed..
You have any idea ? 

Thanks Tobias.

I always see some dropped packets. A few tens of such are not at all unusual and probably of no concern whatsoever. Out of for example 50 TiB I see 76 dropped packets.

The Jumbo frames shouldn't have anything to do with it.

You can also tune your network connections to be a bit more optimized, though in XS 7.X the stock settings are pretty good already.

-=Tobias

4 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

If you push your network, you should be able to hit at least 300 Mbs with a 10 Gb connection, provided you can actually push that much data into your network.

Did you mean 300Gbps?   Using two 11 year old ( manufactured in 2008 ) desktops on a Gigabit LAN, iperf would easily max out at roughly wireline speed (990Mbps or so) when in UDP mode.  TCP mode was slower, but that really did not  show until until bonded connections were made. 

Edited by Robert Townley
put in 2008 as year of desktop so that thread is relevant years from now.

Sorry, typo -- I meant 3000 MBs, actually. Theoretically you can reach something like 850, but I think there will be other limiting factors.

Again, you may need to tweak some of the TCP network settings to optimize the network throughput, like "sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_mtu_probing=1" to help with jumbo frames.

-=Tobias