Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Unknown error occurred - Citrix Studio - File Type Association

David Köppel

Question

9 answers to this question

Error Id: XDDS:95461729

Exception:
    Citrix.Orchestration.Base.LogicModels.Exceptions.ScriptException Unknown error occurred
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.CreateException[T](ICommonLog logger, ExecutionResults`1 results, ICmdletExecutionHost host)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellInteraction.CmdletExecutionMethods.Execute[T](ISdkCmdlet`1 sdkCmd, ICmdletExecutionHost host, Boolean allowFailover)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.RefreshImportedFtaScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ApplicationService.Scripts.GetImportFtaScript.RunScript()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellInteraction.PowerShellScript`1.Run()
       at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.ViewModels.ApplicationWizardDataViewModel.LoadPossibleImportedFtas()
       at Citrix.Console.DesktopGroups.UI.ViewModels.ApplicationWizardDataViewModel.RefreshImportedFtas()
       at Citrix.Console.Common.OperationTimer.TimeBlock(Action operation)
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.GenericProgressOperation.PerformOperationInternal()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowOperation.PerformOperation()
       at Citrix.Console.CommonControls.ProgressDisplay.ProgressWindowViewModel.PerformAction(Action operationComplete)

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : UnknownError
    Sdk Error Message : Unknown error occurred
    Sdk Error ID : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.UnknownError,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.UpdateBrokerImportedFTACommand
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : RefreshImportedFtaScript
    17.04.2019 20:53:07

Set-Variable  -Name "DesktopGroupUid" -Value @(29)
    Get-BrokerDesktop  -AdminAddress "SERVER:80" -BearerToken ******** -Filter {(DesktopGroupUid -in $DesktopGroupUid)} -MaxRecordCount 2147483647 -Property @("MachineUid")
    Remove-Variable  -Name "DesktopGroupUid"
    Update-BrokerImportedFTA  -AdminAddress "SERVER:80" -BearerToken ******** -DesktopUids @(295)
    Update-BrokerImportedFTA : Unknown error occurred
        + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-BrokerImportedFTA], SdkOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Broker.UnknownError,Citrix.Broker.Admin.SDK.UpdateBrokerImportedFTACommand

Looks like the exact same issue I dealt with, we had this issue for a few years but we don't rely on FTA's for our published apps so it took a while until I had time to look at it.

First thing to check is if you have any symbols ect in your application names, if that is all good you can also check for any strange file associations in the registry on your xenapp server/servers. I'n my case nothing was out of the ordinary in both spots. 

What I did is spin up a new server with a few apps on it add it to a machine catalog/delivery group and then check to see if the FTA section still throws the same error. I ended up just creating a whole new golden image of server 2016 to provision with MCS and the error went away once all my applications were running on the new servers. Still don't really know exactly what caused it as the servers were pretty much identical. 

My solution is not an ideal one but if you have time to give it ago it should fix the issue. Definitely check the registry on the servers though.

Yeah a new delivery/machine catalog will not help in this situation. As I mentioned you can go through the file associations in the registry on the server, something in there is causing this error.

Since you're using pvs can you boot up a test server from the master vdisk go into the registry an start deleting all the file associations that look iffy(or that you just don't care about)

As far as I know this is the only way to troubleshoot this error, maybe someone else here can give you more info. For me the time wasted trying to figure out the error was more than it took me to just rebuild a master image, we have about 30-40 apps published which is why I mentioned that.

Had the same issue, turned out to be a bad open command in HKCR.   I isolated a single instance of my PVS image, and ran Process Monitor and filtered on HKCR and BrokerAgent.exe.   Ran the FTA update in Studio, and looked over the log.   Process Mon ended at the reg key giving me the problem (in my case it was R Studio adding erroneous backslashes to the open command).   Cleaned up that key, and it started working again.

You can also use CDFControl to find the bad entry in HKCR.

1. Open CDFControl on your VDA

2. Select Trace Categories: Broker Service

3. Start Tracing

4. Move to your DDC and open the properties of an application

5. Click the File Type Association menu

6. Go back to your VDA and Stop Tracing

7. Parse the created logfile

8. Search for "QueryManager.Get: Exception thrown during service Action:"

9. The lines above this error message show the bad fta/application (in this case winCube.Document)

10. Open the registry on your VDA, move to the mentioned key and check it

In my case it was like in https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201778 . "rundll32" instead of "rundll32.exe". 

Case: I wanted to choose the FTAs of Microsoft Office, but the enumeration didn´t work, I checked the registry entries, but there was no rundll32/.exe for this applications. So I thought it must be a problem with the virtual machine. CDFControl showed, that the FTA enumeration process for all applications was stopped due one bad entry with the application Wincube. Bad, that this entry is not skipped and that absolutely none FTAs are enumerated.

Citrix Support gave me the right hint.

Best regards,

Jens

BadFTA.png