Welcome to our new Citrix community!

High / 100% GPU utilization on Windows Citrix Receiver client when connected to LVDA VDI session

John Salvo

Question

Client device:

Windows 10

Citrix Receiver 4.9 LTSR

VDI session:

RHEL 7.6 as guest on VMWare

LVDA 19.03

( Note: The issue also happened when VDI session was in RHEL 7.5 / LVDA 18.13 )

Windows 10 GPU utilization show 100% when I connect a Linux VDI session as above. As soon as I disconnect from the LVDA VDI session, Windows 10 GPU utlization goes back to almost idle low-levels.

This issue does not happen when client device with Windows 10 and Citrix Receiver 4.9 LTSR connects to a Windows VDA.

This issue also does NOT happen when client device is say Ubuntu with Citrix Worskspace App 19.03 connecting to either Linux VDA or Windows VDA.

This link seems to suggest that it is fixed with Windows Citrix Receiver 4.12:

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/395747-high-gpu-or-cpu-after-running-lvda-718-and-receiver-411-49-ltsr-on-windows-7-10-client/?csrfKey=

.. but the release notes for Citrix Receiver 4.12 made no mention of it:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/receiver/windows/current-release/about/fixed-issues.html

Unfortunately, I cannot easily upgrade Citrix Receiver on Windows 10 client device as the client device is locked down so will have to ask corporate desktop support to upgrade it if required.

Can I confirm that this is really fixed and point to a specific documentation in Citrix apart from the forum that it is indeed fix ??

2 answers to this question

Yes, I have confirm that this issue was really fixed with Windows Citrix Receiver 4.12 and was not mentioned in the doc. The internal case id for this case is LC9506. The work aroud for this issue is Disabling HW acceleration in client workstation(Set value of UseHwDecoding to 0 for registration key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\GfxRender, This registry is to control whether HW GPU will be used for decoding in receiver. 0 means OFF, 1 means ON)

44 minutes ago, Jigao Huang said:

Yes, I have confirm that this issue was really fixed with Windows Citrix Receiver 4.12 and was not mentioned in the doc. The internal case id for this case is LC9506. The work aroud for this issue is Disabling HW acceleration in client workstation(Set value of UseHwDecoding to 0 for registration key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\GfxRender, This registry is to control whether HW GPU will be used for decoding in receiver. 0 means OFF, 1 means ON)

I have just confirmed this as well when I asked for a laptop with Citrix Receiver 4.12 ( our internal Citrix team standardised on LTSR releases only  .. .so Citrix Receiver 4.9 LTSR only for Windows for now ).

Archived