Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Hdx 3D pro - strange behavior with vda 1811 and 1903

Question

Hello,

we have a m60 Grid Card For testing. Our specific software is a 2d application which runs at the moment on a desktop pool windows 10 1709 without a graphic card very well. 

But the new version uses a 3D perspective which need a graphic card. 

i created a master image with a m60-1q profile. Installed NVIDIA driver and then the vda. , added the master image to a remote pc delivery group and tested the application. 

All is very well. The 2d part and also the new 3D Part. 

After this. I Shutdown the master, create a snapshot and created a mcs machine pool and later a delivery group. And now, the 2d part is laggy. But only if I move the object with the pressed and hold arrow keys on the keyboard. If I do the movement with the mouse. It’s ok. 

The 3D Part is working well. I run a benchmark. Also working well. FPS over 40. 

If i logged back to master through my remote pc delivery group. Both 2d and 3D and movements through pressed and hold arrow keys are fine. 

Whats that?

how can I verify that hdx 3D is working and installed could correct on my vda 1811 and 1903?

if I run nvfbcenable -check tatus I see

enabled

NOT capturing display. 

Is this correct?

what else can I test. And what could be the difference between my master and my pool?

thanks for every ideas. 

14 answers to this question

When the new machines in the pool were created with MCS did they all get created with with the m60-1q GPU profile attached at Hypervisor level? 

Are the Pooled machines on the same host as the master image too?

Two good tools you can use to verify the HDX3DPro graphics on the desktops are Citrix's HDX Monitor (free download) & Remote Desktop Analyser (also has a free edition)

See attached. Also see attached my HDX Monitor showing GRID in use. 

You need to download HDX Monitor as it shows plain as day in their if your using HDX3DPro (Nvidia) protocols. 

Please post your HDX monitor results and we can go from there & if you have installed the Nvidia Control Panel (comes as part of the driver package) check that is showing your using the display connected to the Nvidia VGX display. 

Capture.PNG

Screenshot_1.jpg

I can't recall ever having the Microsoft Basic show up in Device Manager for us. The Nvidia drivers should take precedence over any other display drivers really. 

I have attached my Device Manager setup screenshot and the output from a free program called GPUShark which shows the GRID profile is being used as the GPU memory goes up and down. If yours is showing Basic Display Adaptor as well as the Nvidia profile I would remove the basic display and reboot......take a snapshot or backup of the VM first though to be safe. 

Are you running these from VMware vSphere or another Hypervisor?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

very strange issue. I spended few hours to find out the problem. With VDA 1811 and VDA 1903, everytime my output of nvfbcenable is "NOT capturing".

If i do a nvfbcenable -enable -noreset and reboot my master image, the output after the next reboot is everytime "need reboot". I do a reboot, and again "need reboot".

I installed VDA 7.15.3000 and voila - the output is "CAPTURING display ..."

But now, i havnt all the great features of 1903.

I run my virtual machines under vsphere 6.5 latest patches with vGPU 6.4 latest patch.

The Windows Basic Virtual DIsplay Adapter comes from windows if no vendor specifiv default display driver is installed. If i install the VMWare SVGA adapter, the windows basic adapter is gone.

Which VDA have you installed ? With 1903 i have also an Citrix indirect Display Device.

Interesting and I am on 7.15 CU3 here so matches what you found. Sounds like you have everything else set up correctly at least which is good but the VDA is ruining the end game. 

It maybe time to speak to Citrix support as they will be able to let you know if anything have changed the way GRID & vGPU works in the later VDA versions over the LTSR release or if its a bug. 

On 8.4.2019 at 11:19 AM, Thomas Dooley1709157758 said:

Interesting and I am on 7.15 CU3 here so matches what you found. Sounds like you have everything else set up correctly at least which is good but the VDA is ruining the end game. 

It maybe time to speak to Citrix support as they will be able to let you know if anything have changed the way GRID & vGPU works in the later VDA versions over the LTSR release or if its a bug. 

I spoke with a Citrix SE and he said that the behavior is normal. Vda 1903 uses another API and the output of nvfbcenable is ok. 

Hi 

thanks never mind. High visual quality settings are YUV420 correct? Did you ever tried allow visually lossless? The encoder should then switch to YUV444 encoding. 

The problem what i have is that the framerate is constantly dropping from 50+ to max 12-13 which is useless. I guess I have to open a call to citrix.

Best regards

Hi,

same problem wit Tesla T4 (GRID-T4-2Q Profile) , Citrix VaD 1912 ltsr , Windows 10 1809 , Citrix Hypervisor 8.1.

NvFBC is enabled
      -> NOT capturing in display: vidPnSrcId = 0, displayName = \\.\DISPLAY1

Okay NvFBC supposedly has new APIs but "nvidia-smi fbcsessions" shows also 0 sessions... is that normal too ?

Best regards,

Markus