Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Andreas Mueller1709155062

Question

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with the Windows Defender on Server 2016.
I've created a new OS layer that installs App Layering Tools and imports the layer into the ELM. If I create an image directly from this, the folders under programdata \ microsoft \ WindowsDefender and \ program files \ WindowsDefender are completely empty. Are you aware of this behavior?

ELM is on Version 19.2

many Greetings
Andreas

3 answers to this question

Looks like this might be a bug we're aware of.  Is your published image smaller than your OS layer?  You can poke the OS layer in the (i) to get the size of it.  It usually defaults to 60GB.  If you're publishing to an image smaller than 60GB, we have to do a file-by-file copy of the OS layer into the smaller disk, and we seem to be deleting it then.  If your published image really is smaller than your OS layer, just make it bigger (or the same size) and see if Windows Defender magically comes back.  If so, fixed in the forthcoming 19.3, I believe.

We do make sure that we do not capture three folders in any App or Platform layer, to avoid collisions:

/Program Files/Windows Defender

/Program Files (x86)/Windows Defender

/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows Defender

But we should be leaving them alone in the OS layer.  If you version the OS layer, are the files still present?  Are you including any app layers?

Archived