Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCSWCDisk visible to users

Miroslav Blasko

Question

9 answers to this question

The MCS cache disk is formatted and visible, just like it is in PVS, because they are now identical.

Hiding server-side D: drive should have no effect on client D: mapped into the session.

User Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates |  Windows Components | File Explorer (Windows 8+) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7)

• Hide these specified drives in My Computer = enabled, Restrict A, B, C, and D drives only

Hi Carl,

not true -

If company is using legacy client drive mapping SOFTWARE\Citrix\UncLinks\UNCEnabled dword 0

the GPO Hide these specified drives in My Computer  will also hide clients drives  - if the clients drives have the same letters

Edited by Miroslav Blasko
dword 0 added
On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

If D: drive is used on the server, then I think client D: will map to server V: or W:.

I wonder if the cache disk drive letter can be changed.

Hi, so we had this GP set already before we upgraded [In test] to 1903.

User Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates |  Windows Components | File Explorer (Windows 8+) or Windows Explorer (Windows 7)

Hide these specified drives in My Computer = enabled, Restrict A, B, C, and D drives only

But the drive is still visible? 

Cheers,

Andy

Further update. So we are using WEM which we have also upgraded to 1903. It seems it is possible to hide drive D from explorer pain using WEM Console [Policies and Profiles\Windows Explorer\Drives Restrictions ....Hide Specified Drives From Explorer]. However it is still possible if a user types D:\ into explorer for the drive to become visible.  Not sure if we can set the Restrict Specified Drives In Explorer option as I would of thought the user will need to use this to use the MCSWCDisk....going to test this.

After deploying 1912 LTSR CU1 i ran into the MCSWCDisk showing up as E:

After some research I found this solution which can help you hide ANY drives. First you have to turn OFF this policy if you have used that:

Hide these specified drives in My Computer = enabled, Restrict A, B, C, and D drives only

As it can overwrite your customized settings

Make a GPO registry update or create for this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Value: NoDrives

Type DWORD

Use decimal values where you add up all drives you want to hide. 1 = A only. 3 = A+B. 7 = A + B + C. 16 = E only.
I ended up specifying decimal 31 to hide A+B+C+D+E.
No need to log off/on, but a gpupdate needs to be run so might as well log off/on.

The drives are just hidden – still can be accessed.  By typing in E:\ and Enter in the address bar in Explorer or the CMD.

A 1

B 2

C 4

D 8

E 16

F 32

G 64

H 128

I 256

J 512

K 1024

L 2048

M 4096

N 8192

O 16384

P 32768

Q 65536

R 131072

S 262144

T 524288

U 1048576

V 2097152

W 4194304

Y 16777216

Z 33554432

Footnote: Some of my deployments clean up the drive (i.e removes the MCS-copy and leaves a blank drive) while others don't so Citrix need to fix this in the deployment process for MCS.

Edited by Verdipapirsentralen2
Added footnote.