Windows Server 2019 on XenServer 7.3?

Robert Madrian

Question

Staying on 7.3 is not really an option. The only way I would consider doing so is if you have SAN storage because

now for you next upgrade doing clean installs is the only option going forward. Citrix is really painted us into a

corner on this. Its either stay LTSR with hotfixes and no/few feature upgrades or go the CR route and always stay

on the latest release and be force upgraded. 

I don't have GPU's and just run server VM's so staying LTSR for my production pools works out. I keep a test system

on CR so I can follow that branch as well.

--Alan--

I actually do have a rough idea about the next LTSR release, but yes, it's under NDA, hence I can only respond with silence.  :10_wink:

Lunar cycles vs. stock price is a good a method as any! LOL

The public releases about XS 8.0 do not seem to indicate Windows Server 2019 support, however.

-=Tobias

Oh come on now Tobias, just spit it out and break all those NDA's you've been suckered into signing ::10_wink:

But seriously, yea, we have no idea what the release dates will be. I actually tried to guess about a 

month about and apparently was way off base. My next attempt will be to plot the price of Citrix stock

against the phase of the moon and see how that works out for me.

--Alan--

Robert,

You might get lucky... good luck!

The next LTSR version will be who knows when. The biggest issue with older, deprecated releases is bug fixes. If something important enough regarding security comes out, it may get a hotfix. But the process of upgrading to newer releases also gets harder; for example, I beliebe you can only use 7.4 or 7.5 to do a direct upgrade to 7.6 now.

I agree that upgrades every six months or less doesn't make things easy, but that's the current policy. For us,  being able to coordinate upgrades with the academic year would make things a bit easier, but then again, the solution for most of our servers is to run the LTRS version, even though we can't of course take advantage of the latest features.

-=Tobias

we are running 7.3 since a long time it it is very stable that is why we won't upgrade now, maybe the next major upgrade will be interesting for us

we cannot upgrade every 6 months because it is a lot of work to upgrade all servers to the newer Management Agent - also upgrading PVS Master Images for XenDesktop is a lot of work...

about my problems with installing Windows Server 2019 - it seems the iso is damage - we will try it with another iso...

robert

I would note that XS 7.1 LTSR is just that: an LTSR version, meaning it's only going to get bug and security fixes and not feature enhancements or added support for newer OS versions. For the latest support of guest operating systems and features, the only real choice is to run the latest version of XS and that means typically a maximum of around a six-month life cycle.

-=Tobias

You should not be running 7.3 at this point in a perfect world. You should either run 7.1 LTSR licensed if updates are 

inconvenient or be on the latest 7.6 either for new product features or if you run free. Since your version is technically

outdated you will have to clean install to get to 7.6 if you want to try that for a fix. Or just hang out until the next 

release. I'm not "in the know", but it can't be long now. It will likely not be called XenServer, look for something called

Citrix Hypervisor. For a version I hope they do a year/month type, something like Citrix HyperVisor 2019.4 (If it 

comes out in April).

--Alan--

You might try again on a XS 7.6 instance -- there were lots of changes, including the kernel version, between 7.3 and 7.6.

I would be very surprised if using the Windows 2016 template worked at all for a 2019 install; you're better off not relying on any template, given that there isn't one for Server 2019 yet.

-=Tobias

We need to migrate our Fileservers from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016 and want to use

Storage Migration Service from Windows Server 2019 to do this.

Use Windows Server 2019 on 7.3 is to dangerous for the operating Fileserver but for only the Migration between to two servers should work...

I will try to install Windows Server 2019 on 7.3 and test if it works as expected...

robert

Archived