Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Profile Management 1811 - Outlook Search Index Roaming not working

Christian Katterl

Question

Hello,

i recently configured Outllok Search Index Roaming for the new server-environtment.

It's Windows Server 2016, Outlook 2016 (32bit) and VDA 1811, Profile Management 1811.

Since it's configured, the login takes extraordinary long time. Sometimes  v e r y  long. This may be caused by mounting the VHDX for OST and Search Index.

Both VHDX get mounted correctly.

For one user, even Search Index Roaming is working, for all others it's not.

When a not-working user opens outlook, the following two Outlook-errors show up in the Windows Event Log:

Event ID: 35 - Failed to determine if the store is in the crawl scope (error=0x80004002).

Event ID: 34 - Failed to get the Crawl Scope Manager with error=0x80004002

Additionally, I can see with Process Explorer, that for the working user, the Search Index Database (edb) is getting accessed by SearchIndexer.exe only 1 time. For the users where it's not working, i can see many accesses (lines) - see attachment.

According to https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX235347 i checked the registry entries (they are OK).

Creation and use of the OST-file works fine.

Ideas are highly welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

BR, Christian

searchindexer.png

9 answers to this question

Even after upgrading Profile Management to version 1903, the errors still show up:

Event ID: 35 - Failed to determine if the store is in the crawl scope (error=0x80004002).

Event ID: 34 - Failed to get the Crawl Scope Manager with error=0x80004002

...and Search is not working.

BTW, the same error shows up, when using fslogix profile containers instead of Citrix Profile Management. Thereore, the issue doesn't seem to be directly related to Citrix UPM.

Any idea?

BR, Christian

Hi,

for me there was no difference in Office365 or Exchange (onPrem).

I never could get it working stable with Citrix Profile Management.

Therefore, I tried FSLogix as many People recommenced to me. And this is what I would recommend to you too.

Anyone who has Windows RDS CALs, will get FSLogix Licenses (for free) starting from June. In the meantime, you could use a Trial-License.

FSLogix has been bought by Microsoft. I am not sure, if Citrix will continue their Profile Management as FSLogix is working good, stable and much faster. When it's practically integraded into Windows, I don't see any big Bonus on Citrix Profile Management.

BTW, I tried FSLogix on Server 2019 too, but it's not working. For this, I have a ticket open with them.

BR, Christian

On 4/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, Christian Katterl said:

Hi,

for me there was no difference in Office365 or Exchange (onPrem).

I never could get it working stable with Citrix Profile Management.

Therefore, I tried FSLogix as many People recommenced to me. And this is what I would recommend to you too.

Anyone who has Windows RDS CALs, will get FSLogix Licenses (for free) starting from June. In the meantime, you could use a Trial-License.

FSLogix has been bought by Microsoft. I am not sure, if Citrix will continue their Profile Management as FSLogix is working good, stable and much faster. When it's practically integraded into Windows, I don't see any big Bonus on Citrix Profile Management.

BTW, I tried FSLogix on Server 2019 too, but it's not working. For this, I have a ticket open with them.

BR, Christian

Did you ever get FSLogix to work correctly for server 2019? We have many errors with search roaming since moving to 2019.

3 minutes ago, Martin Nygaard Jensen1709160997 said:

Did you ever get FSLogix to work correctly for server 2019? We have many errors with search roaming since moving to 2019.

Well, the basic functionality of FSLogix IS working in WS2019 I know that for a fact. Yes, there is currently a bug with Windows Search, but this has nothing to do with FSLogix. FSLogix is not the reason why Windows Search is not roaming, it's a bug in Windows Server 2019 probably related to the change MS made moving the Windows Search index from being machine based to a user based search index that is saved in AppData/Roaming.

I can produce the same errors I see with FSLogix and Search Roaming, when use  a local Windows profile or a Windows Roaming profile, so this is not an FSLogix issue.

Furthermore, Microsoft has modified the documentation stating that it is no long recommended to let FSLogix handle the Windows Search Roaming, this is mentioned here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/turn-on-enterprise-mode-and-use-a-site-list

Scroll down to the "RoamSearch" part, you will see the revised statement regarding WIndows Server 2019 and WIndows 10 Multi-User. This basically means that we shouldn't use FSLogix SEarch Roaming in WS2019, as it is now stored in AppData\Roaming, which means that it doesn't really make sense to have FSLogix roam the Search Index. 

Hi Kasper,

There is no mention of RoamSearch in the link you have quoted. Can you please confirm that this link is still valid?

If we are not supposed to let FSLogix roam the search then does that mean we are supposed to forfit the Office container for FSLogix in an RDS environment and instead use Citrix Search Roaming instead?

We are having issues with FSLogix search roaming in both W2016 and W2019 using FSLogix Office container in combination with Citrix UPM for profile management.