Welcome to our new Citrix community!

ie4uinit.exe Remains forever on published application

Greg Wood

Question

Hello -

When a user on our XenApp 7.15 LTSR farm launches any published application, ie4uinit.exe (the IE per-user initialization process) stays running forever.  This actually happened on our XenApp 6.5 farm on 2008r2, but I didn't want to bother troubleshooting until we were on Server 2016 with 7.15 LTSR - and the problem remains. 

This doesn't occur on a published desktop - I can certainly kill the processes, but any idea how I can get them to exit gracefully on their own?

2 answers to this question

Hi @gwood241,

ie4uinit.exe is a IE service which runs at bootup time. It is ideally supposed to terminate on its own. Could you please check the following location in your system: hlkm/software/wow6432node/microsoft/activesetup/installed ?                                                                                                                                                                                                               Regards,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Apoorv

It's actually there in the 64-bit location:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSetup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe -UserConfig

It only occurs on the first login; but since we don't use any permanent profiles, the chances of the user getting the same box twice before we reboot is very slim, so it occurs almost all of the time.  For now, we're just killing the process every hour.  This only occurs if they aren't running Explorer.exe as a shell (that is, a published application).

Archived