Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Convert to Hyper-V

Simon Magee1709159107

Question

Hi,

I have PVS deployed VM's which I would like to export so I can import into Azure.  I have tried using Citrix Prvisioning Imaging to export the VMM as a VHD, but this does not boot in Hyper-V. If I try and uninstall Xen Guest tools the machine will BSOD.  I want to be able to import into Azure for DR.

Does anyone have a process which works I can use to achieve this?

7 answers to this question

Your best bet is to export the VM's storage, only, making use of their VHD files, then create a template in Hyper-V and attach the imported VHD files as new storage to the VMs. Had to go through this ourselves recently. You'd export the VDIs using "xe vdi-export ... format=vhd" and th erest of the syntax is standard. Make sure to remove any XenTools prior to the export. Trying OFV exports worked sometimes, but not consistently.

-=Tobias

2 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Your best bet is to export the VM's storage, only, making use of their VHD files, then create a template in Hyper-V and attach the imported VHD files as new storage to the VMs. Had to go through this ourselves recently. You'd export the VDIs using "xe vdi-export ... format=vhd" and th erest of the syntax is standard. Make sure to remove any XenTools prior to the export. Trying OFV exports worked sometimes, but not consistently.

-=Tobias

Tobias,

Currently running a OVF export, (going to take some time so will leave overnight) I'll see how this goes.  Will also give your suggestion a go an post back results.

Thank you.

I have had some success!

It's taken a few goes and a lot of waiting..... but exporting from XenCentre has worked. With some items to complete first:

Ensure you reverse image your PVS image back to a VM

Uninstall PVS Target Agent

Uninstall XenServer guest tools

Open Device Manager and uninstall any 'XEN' related hardware

Delete any XenXXX.sys driver from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Shutdown

Export to VHD

Convert to VHDX in Hyper-V

Boot machine!

Hyper-V Success.PNG

Archived