Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Move database Citrix XenApp 7.15 to new database server mirroring

Björn Schläfli

Question

Hi,

I'm planning to move my now mirrored sql database fma, log, mon to a new mirrored sql database. That's documented badly. I've found this: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/advanced-concepts/implementation-guides/database-connection-strings.html and downloaded the scripts.

But:

- Do I need to export sql database from old db-server and import it on new sql server? Or do I need to create a new empty database?

- If import: Do I need to import it on both db-servers or just one, create the connection strings and create the mirror afterwards? Or do I need to create the mirror and set the connection strings afterwards?

- The scripts provided are ok and the description as well, but, which one do I need to run in which order? 

I'm confused.

Thank you for your help!

7 answers to this question

For mirroring, you'll need to add the Failover Partner in the connection strings.

I would probably backup database, restore database, create mirroring. Don't forget to add the Delivery Controller computer accounts to SQL logins and assign to the databases.

Here's another look at the PowerShell commands - https://www.carlstalhood.com/delivery-controller-1808-and-licensing/#changedbstrings

• Like 1

Many Thanks Carl. That helps. One similar question - Do we need to put the source databases in READ-ONLY on source server before taking full backup? SQL DBA has mentioned pre-req - Stop application connection to DB before full backup and then copy/clone to destination SQL server or cluster. 

Fore info following steps were given by DBA from moving DB from SQL 2008 to SQL2014.  

Could you please advise? Thanks

• Put the databases in READ-ONLY on source server. (pre-req - Stop application connection to DB)
  • Taken the FULL backup of the source databases
  • Copy/clone the databases to the destination server
  • Script out the logins and permissions on the source server
  • Restore/Replicate the logins/users/Permissions same as it on source server
  • Restore the databases on the destination server
  • Once the databases has been restored on destination serve, compatibility of the databases has to be changed from 100 to 120
  • Inform to application regarding the migration.

Thanks Carl. So the sequence could be as follows  

Pre-req - 

• Power off DDC's or stop Broker Service to Stop application connection to DB

On Source SQL Server

• Put the databases in READ-ONLY on source server. (Not required)
  • Take the FULL backup of the source databases 
  • Copy/clone the databases to the destination server
  • Script out the logins and permissions on the source server

On Destination SQL Server 

• Restore/Replicate the logins/users/Permissions same as it on source server
  • Restore the databases on the destination server
  • Once the databases has been restored on destination serve, compatibility of the databases has to be changed from 100 to 120

On Delivery controllers - ( one at a time)

• Power on the DDC so they are back in service using Source SQL DB
  • Null the existing DB connections and update the new DB connections as per PS script on 1st DDC 
  • Once 1st DDC is completed, follow same on 2nd DDC

Optional step - 

Take new incremental backup from Source SQL DB and restore to Destination to apply any changes.